Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is your take on JD/MBA programs?  (Read 924 times)

rmatha

• View Profile
What is your take on JD/MBA programs?
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
I have read some believe employers actually look down on split degree because they feel it shows a lack of commitment to law? any opinions?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is your take on JD/MBA programs?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:43:20 PM »
Search the forum, this has probably been covered to the nth degree. Generally dual degree programs are just moneymakers for the schools. And a non-top MBA isn't going to be worth much unless we're talking about a situation where the employer is paying for it so they can promote you.

If you want an MBA, go to biz school.

If you want to be a lawyer, go to law school and forget the MBA.

TaxLaw2010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »
I have an MBA, which has served me very well.  I am now looking at going to law school (I'm a mid-career changer).  It all depends on what you want to do with your career.  Having an MBA, and hoping to become a transactional Tax Attorney, the MBA is an excellent degree to have in that you are able to understand complex business issues more so than just an attorney.  I work with attorney's all the time in my field, and sometimes, they just don't get the business end of things.  Not that they are not intelligent, they just don't have the same level of exposure to different business issues that an MBA will give you.  I wish I had done a joint MBA/JD, because now, I wouldn't be looking at spending another 3-4 years in law school (I plan to pursue an LLM if the economy is still in the toilet when I graduate).  My advise, is to determine which field of law you are going to practice in.  If you are going for litigation, then I would argue that the MBA probably doesn't make a lot of sense.  However, if you plan to do banking, M&A, or tax/business law, by all means, do yourself a favor and get the MBA/JD so that you can be a greater asset to your future clients.

Just my two cents.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:21:50 PM »
I agree with the dude who said MBA's are good only if they come from the top schools.

Law is above business in the prestige deal.  Kinda like how medicine is above law.  If you get into a law school that is not Harvard or Stanford, then you would have to do an MBA at a business school that is not as good as where you could get in.
Emory 2L
LSN