Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody else as terrified about starting 2L next month as I am?  (Read 2472 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The possibility of barely going to class and not even buying the textbook is very real in my mind.

jbakguy

• View Profile
Re: Anybody else as terrified about starting 2L next month as I am?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:40:18 AM »
Where did the summer go?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
You're such a tease, Walls.

If I remind you that you need good 2L grades to clerk, would that get your juices flowing?

A friend of mine went to an ACS talk in the Loop, which featured four Federal judges talking about clerkships (7th CoA, ND IL, Magistrate).

The gist of the speech was clerking is risibly competitive, at all levels, at this time.  The Magistrate judge said that he hired someone from a T20, on the Editorial Board of their Law Review.  With previous clerking experience!  And years of BigLaw practice!

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »
It's going to suck. Quartiles came out and I don't feel nearly as bad as I was dreading, could be better, though. Sort of resolved to get back in the fray and fight the good fight, again, but this taste of summer freedom is going to be hard to give up.

Also, am dreading the schedule I pulled for fall semester. It's going to be a nasty few months.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »
What's your schedule?

I think the 2L classes are sexier and more interesting: Corporations, Administrative Law, Secured Transactions.  These affect our day to day more than future interests ever will.  (I hope.)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
Copyright, White Collar, Bankruptcy, Evidence

I think this is pretty standard.  Why Copyright?  Are you interested in IP?  I figured that it would be a lot of statutory interpretation and random cases about trade secrets or INS v. AP stuff.

jbakguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 05:14:29 PM »
Unincorporated Business Entities, Modern Real Estate, Con Law II, NonProfits, Water Law Seminar, Ethics Seminar.

Am I crazy for taking 2 seminars in one semester and not taking Evidence Fall 2L??

(Found out today I CALI'd Property W00T!)

jbakguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 06:09:13 PM »
Receiving a CALI in a course is the same general thing as "Booking a course." A CALI is given for the highest grade in a course.

Usually the same people get these awards over and over, but this was a fluke for me and a testament to reading a professor's articles before an exam and getting a feel for their academic approach.

Also, I am very excited about the Water Law Seminar. Likely a product of 10 years in Colorado.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
We don't have CALIs in our school, but maybe that's because I haven't earned one.  The highest grade gets the distinction of the anonymous model answer for posterity.

Judge Haller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
Business Organizations, Bankruptcy, Wealth Transfers, Coal, Oil & Gas, Legislation.
Many hours to be spent in the library (again). >:(
WVU Class of 2011