Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Environmental law, where should I go?  (Read 4000 times)

Alchemy Prep

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Environmental law, where should I go?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 02:08:58 PM »
To follow-up on my earlier point (and it's amazing how much push-back law school folks have to my NALP suggestion every time I make it) in essence the point of going to NALP is to be able to get a bigger picture view than the US News rankings. 

I don't think we can argue that a school that has, just by way of loose example, 60 or so firms (firms, not offfices of firms) coming to campus will provide a much great job market (in or out or OCI) than a school with 20 like McGeorge.  My point was that looking at the US News rankings, where these two schools are not drastically far apart, you should not slip into the mistake of believing the job markets for graduates from each school are anywhere close to one another.

Use the NALP directory as a helpful additional tool.

Best,

Kris
www.alchemyprep.com

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »
My point is that for a student with grades outside the top 10-15%, it doesn't make a difference if there are 30, 40, or 50+ firms going to campus to recruit at OCI. Those students won't be getting those jobs anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Many tier 2/3/4 state law schools don't have that many NALP firms coming to campus, but most of them will provide better options for an in-stater vs. moving across the country to attend a school like Cardozo.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
My point is that for a student with grades outside the top 10-15%, it doesn't make a difference if there are 30, 40, or 50+ firms going to campus to recruit at OCI. Those students won't be getting those jobs anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Many tier 2/3/4 state law schools don't have that many NALP firms coming to campus, but most of them will provide better options for an in-stater vs. moving across the country to attend a school like Cardozo.

Exactly. And the vast magority of law students do not find jobs through OCI. What works at the t25 does not work as well in T2/T3/T4 going to schools in these tiers thinking you will get a job from OCI is just bad advice. OCI is a back-up strategy at best for these schools, it should never be your primary way of finding work.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Alchemy Prep

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
My sincere apologies if I did not make myself clear.  I was referring to NALP as a great tool for gaugeing the desirability of students from a particular law school vs. those from a competing law school, to a particular market. The presence of many firms at OCI implies a heightened level of desirability in that specific region (including, in large part, a heightened level of interest from non-OCI firms).

Best,

Kris
www.alchemyprep.com

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »
My sincere apologies if I did not make myself clear.  I was referring to NALP as a great tool for gaugeing the desirability of students from a particular law school vs. those from a competing law school, to a particular market. The presence of many firms at OCI implies a heightened level of desirability in that specific region (including, in large part, a heightened level of interest from non-OCI firms).

Best,

Kris
www.alchemyprep.com

For having a shill sig, I do like your work so far on the forum.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »
Because everyone loves rankings (but primarily because gatorlion is doing a lot of research while applying to law schools with the intent to eventually practice enviro law):

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tXWyWMzdoyb7k-UKYdEBzQQ&output=html

And the thread where they read/respond to questions or comments: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79085
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

RNT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »
Bump... I got a 171.