Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI of Death 2009  (Read 3261 times)

eman154

• View Profile
OCI of Death 2009
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »
Couple general questions for a thread:

1. How does OCI work for a transfer? I just read abovethelaw and there was one horror sotry on there. Will you be labelled inferior because you are a transfer? Or does it cut the other way and do employers like someone who is smart and works hard and will have the same label as everyone else at the better school?

2. Is it worth transfering, in this economy (great phrase) when at your lower tiered school, you'll get whatever you want from whats there?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI of Death 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
Need more info. Where are you at now? Where have you been accepted as a transfer.

OCI procedures vary by school, but I am not aware of any school that doesn't let transfers participate in OCI.

Are you familiar with the transferapps yahoo group? if not, join it. Lots of good info there.

points90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
I'm in the same boat...im transferring too, and i can either go to a state school which would essentially be free (in-state) or I could go to a school ranked in the high 20's. I know the higher ranked school is a better school, but if I want to end up back in my homestate, i dont know if it's worth the 200K debt i would be accumulating, especially in this economy where transfers are a dime a dozen and there is no guarantee that I would even get a job via OCI as a transfer...

everyone initially said go to the better school, but then when you explain the "OCI of death 2009" situation, people's opinions change...

Any suggestions?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »
I'm in the same boat...im transferring too, and i can either go to a state school which would essentially be free (in-state) or I could go to a school ranked in the high 20's. I know the higher ranked school is a better school, but if I want to end up back in my homestate, i dont know if it's worth the 200K debt i would be accumulating, especially in this economy where transfers are a dime a dozen and there is no guarantee that I would even get a job via OCI as a transfer...

everyone initially said go to the better school, but then when you explain the "OCI of death 2009" situation, people's opinions change...

Any suggestions?

Free and in the state you want to work in = good things now and later. Being free you can afford to wait longer for a job and get paid less and still come out ahead of geting paid more with 200k debt. The t20 MAY offer more options, but if you really want to come back to state X, then the only options you will want to take are the ones in state X, and if t20 is far away those may be few and you may not get any offers. Free and local seems to be best bet here unles the t20 is really close or your willing to move where ever they send you.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:55:55 PM »
Points90

Depending on what school we're talking about in the high 20s it may be better to go to the in-state school. What are the names of the schools?

What kind of school are you leaving and what are your stats there?

points90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 02:48:50 AM »
I would be transferring from a t4 to either GW or an instate school ranked around 50 where I would essentially go for free. The complicated part is that I want to come back to my homestate to practice, and keep in mind that either school is a vast improvement.

Also, I read a WSJ article in Wednesday's paper suggesting that this is a common question in today's economy...

So the real question lies in whether that name is worth extra debt...I dont know...what is your opinion?

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »
Foe me...Top50 and don't look back. If that is the state you want to practice in and you feel confident in finishing well there that is the best bet. When you are in the area you want to practice, rank is much less important (unless it is a MAJOR market with multiple top schools). Unless you look online and see GW grads peppered all over your target market, I'd take the free ride all day.

I would be transferring from a t4 to either GW or an instate school ranked around 50 where I would essentially go for free. The complicated part is that I want to come back to my homestate to practice, and keep in mind that either school is a vast improvement.

Also, I read a WSJ article in Wednesday's paper suggesting that this is a common question in today's economy...

So the real question lies in whether that name is worth extra debt...I dont know...what is your opinion?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 10:32:51 AM »
Just to be clear, the top 50 is a public law school in your homestate?

If so, I'd go with that one over GW.

points90

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
Yeah, the other one is one of two public law schools in the state. One is slightly better regarded than the one I am considering, but it is only a slight difference.

I know GW is a great school, but the more I learn, the more I second guess the debt. I think a school's reputation is important but I dont know how much that reputation is worth... Granted, there are some schools that you take a second mortgage on your house to attend...Harvard/NYU/Stanford/Duke...but GW? I just dont know...

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:56 PM »
The public school is probably the better bet then. Especially if you want to work in the state where the public school is located.

I do not think GW is worth the $, especially given the current economy and what you have said.

To be clear, are we talking about something like Arizona/Arizona State or Florida/Florida State?