Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mass mail v. email  (Read 3141 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mass mail v. email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
$350?!  ??? :o ??? :o

How did you pull this off? Watermarked paper/envelopes at staples for $5-10 per 100; stamps for like 40c. each... I anticipate maybe $200 tops for the whole mass mail.

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »
Also how the hell long did this take you?!  Did you have to really research each firm?

I don't even know what I'm going to do about mass mailing . . . OCI alone is about all I can handle on top of getting a transfer together.
At least I can f-ing think.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 02:29:49 PM »
500 pages white paper = $20 (for writing samples [when requested], and unofficial transcripts] ... some of this is excess/left over
175 nice "resume" envelopes = $15 for a pack of 25 * 7 = $105 (I might be wrong on this one; can't remember)
400 sheets of 100% cotton paper = Four 100pg packets costing $20 each = $80
180 stamps * .40 cents per stamp = $72
2 ink cartridges @ $35/e (office depot didn't have the ink to refill my printer cartridge) = $70
Total = $347

I also needed to buy a printer (didn't have one before) and a stapler, but most people don't need those.  Subtracting one ink cartridge, that was another $130 for me, but most people won't need to pay that.

I needed 400 sheets of 100% cotton paper because I used 2 per envelope * 175 = 350 total, and that gave me some left overs for when I made/spotted mistakes (which I did quite often).

I also made an effort to make everything pretty top-of-the-line.  I got the heaviest paper, I always used the best printing quality, I got the nicest envelopes, etc.  So far it does not seem to have been helpful, but I've still got a lot of places to hear back from.  And I guess I just need one single job offer.

As far as time?  Way too long.  From start to finish, this whole process took me 3-4 weeks working pretty hard (although working around ~40h of work per week).  That said, now that I know exactly what I'm doing, I think I could repeat this in half the time this took me (I would guess it took me 120h total, but keep in mind that I also e-mailed almost an equal amount of firms).
Emory 2L
LSN

hawkpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »
500 pages white paper = $20 (for writing samples [when requested], and unofficial transcripts] ... some of this is excess/left over
175 nice "resume" envelopes = $15 for a pack of 25 * 7 = $105 (I might be wrong on this one; can't remember)
400 sheets of 100% cotton paper = Four 100pg packets costing $20 each = $80
180 stamps * .40 cents per stamp = $72
2 ink cartridges @ $35/e (office depot didn't have the ink to refill my printer cartridge) = $70
Total = $347

Getting a summer job in this economy...Priceless

dischord

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 03:10:42 PM »

As far as time?  Way too long.  From start to finish, this whole process took me 3-4 weeks working pretty hard (although working around ~40h of work per week).  That said, now that I know exactly what I'm doing, I think I could repeat this in half the time this took me (I would guess it took me 120h total, but keep in mind that I also e-mailed almost an equal amount of firms).

Erm, any tips? 

ETA: Do you think maybe it would have take you less time if you were only mass mailing in 1 market rather than 3?
At least I can f-ing think.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
What took so long? I have a complete NYC litigation mail merge ready to go - between NALP, Vault and Chambers it only took me like 6 hours to do (without the printing). Am I doing something wrong?

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
I don't have any great tips or anything; it really just should have been a much more smooth process for me.

And Bears, I'm sure you did nothing wrong.

It was a little harder for me, because I am targeting non-vault firms with a summer program, and I wanted to focus on non-NALP firms (although I did include non-Vault firms that were on NALP).  I hadn't heard of "Chambers" and just used Martindale.

NALP is frequently wrong on the recruiting coordinator name/e-mail, so you have to go to the individual firm's website for every firm.  For smaller firms, I made an effort to try and find the practice area that was likely to need the most help, and I crafted my resume/cover letters a little differently with the mail merge script.

And, printing everything out was a 25 hour affair, somehow.  That part sucked.
Emory 2L
LSN

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 02:03:12 AM »
I don't have any great tips or anything; it really just should have been a much more smooth process for me.

And Bears, I'm sure you did nothing wrong.

It was a little harder for me, because I am targeting non-vault firms with a summer program, and I wanted to focus on non-NALP firms (although I did include non-Vault firms that were on NALP).  I hadn't heard of "Chambers" and just used Martindale.

NALP is frequently wrong on the recruiting coordinator name/e-mail, so you have to go to the individual firm's website for every firm.  For smaller firms, I made an effort to try and find the practice area that was likely to need the most help, and I crafted my resume/cover letters a little differently with the mail merge script.

And, printing everything out was a 25 hour affair, somehow.  That part sucked.

Holy poo! I need to start printing!

Also, how did you know whether a small firm was even hiring? It seems like most small firms don't have summer programs. :(