Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mass mail v. email  (Read 3219 times)

one4theteam

• View Profile
Mass mail v. email
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:14:10 PM »
Anyone have any input as to which approach is better for firms that you are targeting on your own outside of OCI?

I know this approach is already a long shot if a particular firm is not coming to your school.  But I've heard arguments for both methods. 

I'd appreciate anyone's personal experiences/recommendations with either method.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mass mail v. email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »
Email if the firm has an online application system, snail mail otherwise.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »
I just finished my mass mail for 160 firms and it cost me $350 (and I didn't do the big envelopes, which I sorta regret).  I e-mailed another 150 and it was free.

The way I picked it was I made snail mail my default method.  But, if all the site had was "Send Resumes to Denny Crane, Hiring Partner," then I e-mailed.

One thing I will say is that when you see a high-quality envelope with high quality paper and "Best" printing inside of it, it really does look good and seem like you took a minute on the firm.  If you can add to that a couple lines that individualize the firm, I think it's meaningful.
Emory 2L
LSN

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:13:26 PM »
What markets were you sending to? I am hitting the mid south (Dallas, KC, Tulsa, St. Louis) and have been advised to wait until 8/1...so just wondering your method.

I just finished my mass mail for 160 firms and it cost me $350 (and I didn't do the big envelopes, which I sorta regret).  I e-mailed another 150 and it was free.

The way I picked it was I made snail mail my default method.  But, if all the site had was "Send Resumes to Denny Crane, Hiring Partner," then I e-mailed.

One thing I will say is that when you see a high-quality envelope with high quality paper and "Best" printing inside of it, it really does look good and seem like you took a minute on the firm.  If you can add to that a couple lines that individualize the firm, I think it's meaningful.

one4theteam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 03:08:12 PM »
I plan on hitting about 200 firms myself.  In all likelihood, at least half of these firms will likely have their pick of the creme de la creme of rising 2Ls this year so I know it is a long shot. 

I think it helps that I am only targeting CA firms and have spent literally half my life in both Northern and Southern CA, although I'm sure whatever advantage that gives me is marginal at best.

I've spoken with recruiters who split on email and snail mail, but have confirmed geographic ties (or lack thereof) is an important initial screen.  I got the gist that they really filter out a lot of people this way (AFTER grades of course).  I think its key to establish the geographic connection. 

I was told not to send until AT LEAST August 1st also.  But definitely within August.  Some people apparently are still sending stuff in through October, which I can't really think of any justification for.

Office Depot is going to love me this month.  The post office not so much.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 05:23:55 PM »
I've had a lot of conflicting advice from sources I trust on the "when to send" deal.  I don't think there's a great answer.  This is probably because it doesn't matter that much.

It's going to depend on the market and the expected SA class (basically, firm size).  I think NY/DC are pretty early on the SA deal, whereas Dallas(?) and smaller markets (and smaller firms) are slower.

Anyway, so far I've only sent out stuff to NY and DC (sending the rest next week).  I sent on Tuesday and have heard back from a couple places saying they received my "application," (etc) so it seems like at least some of the firms have started prepping for next year.  You want to send early because you want to get interviews before these firms do OCI and already have all their SA's picked out.  You also don't want to go so early that they get confused on which summer you are applying for, or to where they haven't picked out a staff member to take apps.

I think most schools will require students to submit their resumes for OCI by around July 23rd or so (Emory was July 6). So, the sooner the better I guess.

BTW... you're going to submit to 200 firms in just a couple geographic locations?  That's seriously not easy to do.  There's only so many firms that take SA's.  I figured the more places I sent my stuff to (as long as I legitimately individualized the firms in my cover letter), the better chances I had of getting hired.  With such a bad outlook, I applied to as many non-vault firms as I could (and some vault firms, too, mostly by mistake).  I couldn't find much more than 40 or so employers in Atlanta, DC, or NY (40 each place), although if you are applying to the vault firms as well, then that number will increase a bit in the bigger markets.  But 200 will still be seriously tough.  You'll probably only get like 90 of those off NALP, and working through Martindale is annoying, since only like 1 in 4 non-NALP firms with 25+ attorneys has SA programs that they advertise.

And also, the CA connection is good, but as I understand it, you dudes are struggling even worse than most other places.  The only markets I've heard decent things about (and, relative to most years, these places are still doing terribly) are NY, Dallas, Houston, and Seattle.  DC is mixed, and Chicago might be doing fine.  But Atlanta/LA/San Francisco/Miami/Charlotte/Las Vegas are all markets I've heard (from mid/biglaw partners, in most of those places) are getting absolutely destroyed.
Emory 2L
LSN

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
Some non-nalp firms that do not have SA programs still hire hourly-paid law clerks. While a an SA program is undoubtedly better, that's something else to consider. You might have to contact firms about this directly b/c these hourly positions are often not advertised. Also, be aware that some non-nalp firms have SA programs that are essentially law clerk positions in disguise.

Number81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »
This is something I wondered a bit about.  I took down as much info as I could, but held off contacting most of the firms that didn't advertise SA positions.  I figured that they would make absolutely no decisions until the spring and so it would be a waste of time.  Maybe I should go back to my spreadsheet and get ready to mail these places?
Emory 2L
LSN

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 05:49:30 PM »
Some non-nalp firms that do not have SA programs still hire hourly-paid law clerks. While a an SA program is undoubtedly better, that's something else to consider. You might have to contact firms about this directly b/c these hourly positions are often not advertised. Also, be aware that some non-nalp firms have SA programs that are essentially law clerk positions in disguise.

This is my experience as well. There are a lot of firms out there that donít have official SA programs but still hire summers or clerks. Here at least they most often hire from local schools and they get recommendations from their clerks for the next year. So often you land a job at a place because a 3L worked there last summer and recommended you. So if your applying from out of state I would play up any local contacts you have in your cover letter so they know youíre serious about being there and not just looking for anything. Also target firms with alumni form your school.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

one4theteam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:47:42 PM »
Number, I didn't think there'd be 200 firms in CA either.  Surprisingly, there are.  I pulled a lot of these off of NALP.  Others are mid-size, or "California" firms (multiple CA offices) that aren't on NALP but have respectable presences in LA and SF and sub-markets (SD/OC/Sacto). 

I agree, its pretty tough in CA right now.  If you are HYS or Boalt you are fine.  For the rest of us, it really will be tough this year.  More than ever it will come down to a firm "seeing" something in you during the 3 seconds they scan your resume, and that includes schools with traditionally huge OCIs.  Many places will be recruiting just to go through the motions.  I have kind of resigned to the fact that I may not get a SA gig next summer. I have also resigned to the fact that I will have to be on fire with grades through most of 2L and 3L to stay in the game at all.  I don't think it'll be safe to rely on strong 1L grades alone anymore.

But the alternative of not trying at all is not really an alternative.  You only get one bit at the recruiting bonanza, and the season is upon us.  Time to cast the net wide.  That being said, I think its a waste of time to send my resume outside of CA.  Its pretty obvious I'm CA to the core.

Happy mailing all.