Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admission Factors: Languages  (Read 621 times)

911TurboS

• View Profile
Admission Factors: Languages
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
Hello everyone, I am curious as to whether knowing a couple different languages other than English would make much of a difference come admissions time. I already know French and am considering learning German or Mandarin. I don't want to learn a third language just to help my admissions prospects, but would like to know if it would help.

For someone who knows English and French, what other language would you pick to learn?

Thanks!  ;)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Admission Factors: Languages
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
Spanish.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:01:41 AM »
Probably won't help too much in the admissions process, but it can help when it comes time to get a job, particularly if the practice areas in which you're interested have a strong international presence. I would disagree with CTL and say that the most valuable language skill these days seems to be Mandarin. It's quite difficult for non-native speakers to pick up and I think it would put you into rare company.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
I agree about it being something that won’t affect your admission chances. Spanish vs. other languages I think this depends on where you live/ plan to live. Out west knowing Spanish will really help you get a job, mandrdin, not so much.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »
Yea, for someone with a background in French though, Spanish is the next most practical (and attainable) language to learn.  Mandarin is nearly impossible to learn unless you have lots of time, patience, and practice (read: live in China for a few years).  If you really want another language (one that you can learn in less than a year with lots of practice - which you would be able to get with native speakers in pretty much any American town), go with Spanish.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
I already know Spanish, but I would want to to learn Japanese.  Too bad I don't already know the mother tongue.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »
languages help if law school admission type you trying talk with not speak english.