Law School Discussion

Sotomayor Confirmation Hearings

Re: Sotomayor Confirmation Hearings
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:25 PM »
I still get a good laugh when people try to say her 'wise latina woman' comment was taken out of context.  Why?  Because no one can explain the context where that sort of racial statement is appropriate.

Let's take her statement:
ďI would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasnít lived that life."

Now let's play with the words and switch them around to see if you who deny the racial inequality can understand the context upon which no error has been made.

"I would hope that a wise white male with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a latina woman who hasn't lives that life."

I'll concede that she isn't a radical leftist.  I'll concede that she is slated to replace a judge who leans further left than she has shown herself to lean.  What I refuse to understand is how so many people can claim this statement is unoffensive, misinterpreted, and taken out of context.  Here's the context: she was telling latina law students that she believes being a latin woman allows her (heck, ANYONE) to make better legal rulings.

I would love to see someone actually explain how this was taken out of context in light of the fact that this is not the only time she spoke similarly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us/15judge.html
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/05/sotomayor.speeches/

In conversations with some liberal leaning attorneys in my office, I have come to realize that we all pass information through the filter of our background and experiences.  However, an intelligent person hoping to be elevated to the highest court of the land doesn't display intellectual care if she says so. 

If Obama had said that he believed that a black man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not make a better President than a white man who hasn't lived that life, he would never have made it past the primaries.

That said, I find the argument that the Republicans shouldn't vet her through the process carefully because she is latina and not a radical leftist rather depressing.  This is America.  We should be careful about whom we select to be a judge on the highest court in the land, shouldn't we?

I seem to remember the Democrats full court press on Clarence Thomas.  And Justice Roberts.  Neither of whom came close to publicly saying anything as racially charged as Sotomayor.

I invite you to the debate and look forward to flushing out the 'context' argument.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 04:13:46 PM »
That said, I find the argument that the Republicans shouldn't vet her through the process carefully because she is latina and not a radical leftist rather depressing.  This is America.  We should be careful about whom we select to be a judge on the highest court in the land, shouldn't we?

Right. That is definitely what people are saying. The jig is up.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »

Right. That is definitely what people are saying. The jig is up.

I see the value of having hearings even if her elevation is a foregone conclusion (as Lindsay Graham acknowledged), but not if they're going to look like this.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »

I seem to remember the Democrats full court press on Clarence Thomas.  And Justice Roberts.  Neither of whom came close to publicly saying anything as racially charged as Sotomayor.

Are you kidding??  Thomas' infamous "this is a public lynching" quote is about as racially charged as it gets.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »

Are you kidding??  Thomas' infamous "this is a public lynching" quote is about as racially charged as it gets.

"This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree." - Clarence Thomas

But please, let's keep talking about the "wise Latina" comment  ::)

jerseyexpatriate

• Sanctioned for your sins
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »

"This is not an opportunity to talk about difficult matters privately or in a closed environment. This is a circus. It's a national disgrace. And from my standpoint, as a black American, it is a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks who in any way deign to think for themselves, to do for themselves, to have different ideas, and it is a message that unless you kowtow to an old order, this is what will happen to you. You will be lynched, destroyed, caricatured by a committee of the U.S. Senate rather than hung from a tree." - Clarence Thomas

But please, let's keep talking about the "wise Latina" comment  ::)

If you thought that was racially charged, you clearly didn't watch Pat Buchanan on Maddow last night.  I don't normally watch MSNBC due to not having cable, but his rant (if you can call it that) reminded me of Abe Simpson.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »
Here's a nice column from Sherilynn Ifill about this: http://www.theroot.com/views/why-sen-graham-got-it-wrong

Here's the Maddow/Buchanan video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiN3DBchFU

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 12:32:11 PM »
Holy Jesus, Buchanan. That might be a new low.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »