Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for a piece of advice...  (Read 840 times)

kyoo

• View Profile
    • Email
Looking for a piece of advice...
« on: July 15, 2009, 12:15:49 AM »
I am desperate to get some advice from you guys. I took my first prep back in April not knowing anything about it, and I scored 133. Since then I have been working pretty hard my ass off to current 148~9 on preps. I also took the powerscore live course. Certainly an improvement but I often get discouraged considering amount of time and efforts I put in(currently I'm spending 40+ hours each week and planned out things & schedule until September lsat) My situation allows me to study full time until September so at least that's good. I'm not looking for any miracle 20 point jump or anyting between now and September, but hoping to score around 160. Could you guys help me with any advice? Here is some of my approaches toward prep test and areas I feel that I need advices.

LR-lately I am scoring 16~17 on this section. Normally I only get through 22~23 questions and time's up.
LG-I am having a lot of problems with it and I put & spend more time on understanding each game type. I went through Logic game bible and stuff already. The problem is, when I face with some tricky wording, I have a tendency of going panic...and collapse.
RC-honestly I don't know how to improve here. Right now I do 3~4 passages whenever possible. But I feel that I am better off doing 3 passages more accurately than 4.

Please help and thank you all in advance.
K

Fedlaw

• View Profile
Re: Looking for a piece of advice...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
I don't mean to be a total a-hole, but if the LSAT is this difficult for you, are you sure law school is the right choice? The LSAT is a total breeze compared to the tests I had in my first year.  If it took months of study for me to get just 150, I probably would have reconsidered my choice.  And tricky wording is all you're ever going to read for the next three years.  I'm not just being a prick, seriously.  I have a friend who worked his a@@ off like this to get a moderate-decent LSAT score.  He had to do the same all through law school, working more than most,  and then did the same to pass the bar.  Took him 3 tries.  Now he's a lawyer and he hates it, looking at doing something else.  I'd have started looking at that possibility when just the basic entrance test was that much of an issue.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Looking for a piece of advice...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
I don't mean to be a total a-hole, but if the LSAT is this difficult for you, are you sure law school is the right choice? The LSAT is a total breeze compared to the tests I had in my first year.  If it took months of study for me to get just 150, I probably would have reconsidered my choice.  And tricky wording is all you're ever going to read for the next three years.  I'm not just being a prick, seriously.  I have a friend who worked his a@@ off like this to get a moderate-decent LSAT score.  He had to do the same all through law school, working more than most,  and then did the same to pass the bar.  Took him 3 tries.  Now he's a lawyer and he hates it, looking at doing something else.  I'd have started looking at that possibility when just the basic entrance test was that much of an issue.

Meh. Iím the opposite of your friend, I boomed the LSAT (right around the OPs current score) could not get into a JD program so convinced a school (where I was way below the 25% range) to let me take 2nd and 3rd year law classes without the first year, against law students, on the same curve, to show I could really do it, and I kicked their asses getting a 3.67 PGA on a 3.0 curve over 24 credits (and an LLM/MLS)  even taking highest grade in two classes.

Needless to say after that they let me in the JD program and I graduated at least 13th in my class while working fulltime at my own biz as well as clerking (as of last year, new ranks arenít out for grads yet). I also put in way less effort than the majority of my classmates. Some folks are just not good at standardized tests, Iím dyslexic, Iíve never been good at them, luckily for me law school exams arenít standardized. Being that they are subjective rather than objective, some peopleís brains just work differently. I was really good at subjective issue spotting exams that test your mastery of a subject area with could be this, could be that type answers, not good at LSAT types test that examine your general ability to solve abstract problems that have one and only one correct answer. Iím pretty much living proof that for some folks LSAT is not at all indicative of their ability to do well in law school. For me LSAT was MUCH harder than law school ever was.

Now the bar, hmm right now that is blowing chunks, never worked this hard in my life. We shall see how that goes. So far, as usuall I'm not as good at the onbjective mutli choice as I am the subjective essay parts, so I'll have to pick up points where I can. 

So OP hang in there, do the best you can and that's the best you can do.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.