Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rising 2L at SEC school taking any questions about 1L...  (Read 961 times)

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Rising 2L at SEC school taking any questions about 1L...
« on: July 14, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »
Top 10%, Law Review, split 1L summer with 2 firms (one defense and one primarily plaintiff's) and am targeting Dallas after graduation (where I grew up). I'll do my best to answer any questions you have about 1L or what I know about the Dallas market.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Rising 2L at SEC school taking any questions about 1L...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »
which school?

also, which study habits do you feel most propelled you to the top 10%?

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:58:37 PM »
Everyone else around here seems to subscribe to the notion that disclosing one's exact school is a bad practice, so I won't go that far.

I would say for me personally, and it varies for everyone, that making a real effort to read every assigned case and actually brief it was very important. This allowed me to really be engaged in the class discussion and understand the black-letter law that came from each case because I had read the application of it in the case and then listened to the prof discuss the application as well. A lot of people will tell you that briefing is a waste of time after the first month or two, but it really didn't kill me to do it and I thought it helped.

Also, even though I had myself pegged as a solo studier (which is what I did 1st semester), I ended up doing a decent amount better in the Spring when I studied with 3 other people for exams.

which school?

also, which study habits do you feel most propelled you to the top 10%?

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:11:27 PM »
use any supplements?

how'd you budget your time?  how much did you study per day?

also, doesn't it seem to be a little inconsistent to care that others think it bad practice to disclose schools, so you don't do that, but they also think it bad practice to brief the entire semester, yet you do follow that opinion?

i mean, if there is other justification (which i'm sure there is) then fine, but you could have just said that to begin with.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »
True enough on the inconsistency I guess. However, I would say that I really noticed people's advice about briefing after I had already become comfortable enough with it that I wasn't going to stop. I'll say I'm not at Vandy. After that they seem to all be pretty similar in rank and stature.

I did use supplements but not as much as I thought I would. I bought one for each class about this time last year. (I'm actually looking to sell all of them so anyone interested let me know!)I actually found that with reading and briefing pretty religiously, I very rarely was confused about something to the point that I wanted to go to the supp to "understand." There were probably a couple times in Property. But I really used them the most in prep for the finals. I used the black-letter explanations along with my class notes to make my own outlines for every class. I especially recommend E&Es and Emmanuel's Crunchtime. Both are awesome for civpro in my opinion.

As to time-budgeting, I was pretty rigid 1st semester. I had myself a sked from morning til about 5-6. (And I get up really early...to the point where I would be at school between 6:30-7am each day). Between those times I was either in class, eating lunch, or reading/studying. To be fair I was and am also obsessed with fantasy football so maybe an hour a day went to that.

As a side, if you can handle getting up early enough that you are there an hour or more before class, I would suggest it. Even if you leave the reading for that class until right then, I felt super fresh and ready to go when class started every day.

use any supplements?

how'd you budget your time?  how much did you study per day?

also, doesn't it seem to be a little inconsistent to care that others think it bad practice to disclose schools, so you don't do that, but they also think it bad practice to brief the entire semester, yet you do follow that opinion?

i mean, if there is other justification (which i'm sure there is) then fine, but you could have just said that to begin with.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »
True enough on the inconsistency I guess. However, I would say that I really noticed people's advice about briefing after I had already become comfortable enough with it that I wasn't going to stop. I'll say I'm not at Vandy. After that they seem to all be pretty similar in rank and stature.

no way.  Vandy >>>> UGa / Bama >> UF > UK / UTk >>> USC / LSU / UArk / Ole Miss

will you pm me the answer?

also, thanks for the advice, it's been great so far.  i'll keep asking questions as i get them. thanks for the help.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:12:48 AM »
LSU/Ark/Ole Miss?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:57:45 AM »
My question for you- how does it feel to know that a Calipari beatdown is coming this basketball season on the rest of the SEC?

;D

My real question- at the more regional SEC schools (at least the one you are at), are OCIs dominated by local firms, or is there a mix of local and national firms.  Also, how many big-time schools do you see getting jobs at firms?  For example, suppose you went to Tennessee- would you see mainly UT/ Memphis/ Vandy grads getting the SA positions at firms in Knoxville, or would there be SAs from T-14 schools from the Midwest and Northeast as well? 

I know this post is kind of a mess, so, to clarify, what I am trying to ask is how much of a regional boost do you get when you apply to local firms?
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN