Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have it narrowed down to Widener PA and Ohio Northern...Any Advice?  (Read 1461 times)

Gruitza

Both schools offer different advantages and I am completely torn between the two!!! I have to give them my seat deposits within a week...This is such a hard choice to make. I will be seeking employment in either PA or NJ and am not interested in working for a big firm. Please dont respond if your planning on giving me the dont waste your money at a tier 4 spiel. ::)

My father was an ONU grad, however Widener will offer many advantages being located in the State Capital. ie: employment and contacts...

Does anyone feel that either of these schools is by in large a superior school?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Nope. Both are expensive private schools. Both face heavy competition from other regional law schools in their respective regions.

ONU is among the worst of the OH law schools and there are nine in the state and not enough jobs for everyone. Keep in mind things are much worse for new attorneys now compared to when your dad went to law school.

Widener is also a bottom feeder school in an overcrowded market. According to a graduate I know, many students with good grades struggle to find work even after passing the bar(s).

Pick your poison.

Personally, if I were you I would try to save some money by retaking the LSAT, reapplying and trying to get into my local state law school.

Gruitza

Your reply did not even come remotely close to addressing my post or my question...You did exactly why I politley asked for others not to do...Good luck with all your future endevors and try to stay on topic next time..Im not even sure why I bother with this board ::)

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
by the look of your eleven posts, you really don't seem to "bother with this board" all that much.

in response to your post, Western State University College of Law FTW!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Retake the LSAT.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you must choose between them, I would go to Widener if you plan to look for work in NY/PA. More alums in the area, easier to network for jobs in a location when you are already in a location.

Still, I would highly recommend retaking the LSAT and trying to get into either Temple or one of the Rutgers schools. Go to the school you can get in-state tuition at.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Both schools offer different advantages and I am completely torn between the two!!! I have to give them my seat deposits within a week...This is such a hard choice to make. I will be seeking employment in either PA or NJ and am not interested in working for a big firm. Please dont respond if your planning on giving me the dont waste your money at a tier 4 spiel. ::)

My father was an ONU grad, however Widener will offer many advantages being located in the State Capital. ie: employment and contacts...

Does anyone feel that either of these schools is by in large a superior school?

I thought i'd take a break from studying....
     Hummmm... not really that tough a question.. considering that you want to work in PA/NJ... you should definitely go to Widener... Widener DE is closer to NJ and outside Philly PA...  I know someone who went to Ohio Northern... if you choose to go there.. i can put you in touch with her...  She is currently a defense attorney in Philadelphia and doing very well.. But like I said... Widener I think is better for you since it is closer to where you want to work.
  But either way you should go where you want to go Good luck! 

Now back to studying for the BAR!! ugh... LOL
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you must choose between them, I would go to Widener if you plan to look for work in NY/PA. More alums in the area, easier to network for jobs in a location when you are already in a location.

Still, I would highly recommend retaking the LSAT and trying to get into either Temple or one of the Rutgers schools. Go to the school you can get in-state tuition at.

This is 100% credited.

Gruitza, I know you don't want to hear it, but they are right to give you this advice to at least consider.  For many people, either school is a bad choice.  At the very least, I think you should consider if you could do part-time to avoid crushing debt.  There's a reason why lawyers are much more likely to be depressed than many, if not most careers...

I had an attorney once tell me when I was applying to schools that whatever I do, don't go to Widener.  He said the first thing that law firms look at when you apply is where you go to school.  Everything else is secondary. 

Now, I'm not a law school snob like many, and I have nothing against the school.  For some, it's a great opportunity.  For many, though, it is not.  You need to access what types of jobs you want, and whether it is worth going into (I'm assuming) massive debt to practice law. Only you can answer that, but take a look around law firm websites in the Harrisburg area.  You are not going to find many Widener law grads making partner, if I recall correctly when I was researching this. 

I retook the LSAT, did much better, and went to a different school.  If that's a reasonable possibility (e.g., if you knew you could study harder and do better), I'd consider that. 

And, if you don't want to risk being "outted," I'd get rid of where your dad went to school, and where you're considering.  To be honest, I might know your father...that shows you how small of a world it is!  :)