Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is transfering worth it?  (Read 2339 times)

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is transfering worth it?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »
No guarantees on biglaw b/c of the economy. If you're okay with working a lower paying job (like 50K more or less) for a few years until things get better w/ the economy then you should consider that long term career prospects will likely be better from ND in general. Make though mistake though, the chance that you'll have to slog it out for a few years at a lower paying job are very real. The economy is really that bad. Chances of getting back into biglaw if you don't make it now are very slim though b/c of the way biglaw hiring works. No question that ND will give you more choices on where to look for a job on the east coast.

As for the GF, if your relationship is serious you should be able to make it through 1 year of long distance. Is she applying to transfer too? If not, it is much easier to get into a school as a third year visiting student than a transfer. She could apply to visit at ND and other schools in Indiana and the regional after her second year.

Are you waiting to hear from any other schools?

What are your career plans if you can't teach? What if you can't clerk?

Do you have family or personal $$$ or other means of reducing debt load at ND?

I'd like to work whatever job I could to pay off debt quickly. That's likely biglaw, but who knows if I can get in to it.  I don't want to work my whole life away, but I would like to make a decent salary.  Maybe appellate litigation would be fun as I prefer looking at the larger issues.  Also, I'd like to work on the east coast.  My current school is in Connecticut.  It's regional reputation is okay at best.  On average only about 3 or so people get jobs at OCI and they're usually in Connecticut.  I'd prefer to be in a city.  Also, even though I know this shouldn't be an issue, I do have a semi-serious girlfriend at school.  I don't have any personal or family money to help reduce the debt at ND.  Right now, I'd graduate with about $76,000 in debt from undergrad and law school living expenses.  If I went to ND, I'd graduate with close to $150,000 in total debt.  Thanks for all the advice.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
Even Boalt won't necessarily give you great chances of teaching, especially w/o a clerkship. Clerkship depends on 2L grades at Boalt. I know they have no grades per se, but students with a transcript full of honors are probably more likely to clerk. Also, I've heard that they will release rankings in confidence to judges for clerkship purposes only but I don't know if that's true. Even if teaching is out and clerking is out, Boalt will give good long term prospects even though you might not get biglaw b/c of the economy.

As far as the kids issue, I suppose a lot depends on your age and when you plan to have kids. Also, if you're planning to take advantage of Boalt's LRAP (either as a first plan or backup if biglaw doesn't work out), read the fine print. Many school funded LRAPs take ALL of your assets into account including spousal income.

I can't see Hastings really being worth it. It might marginally increase your chances of clerking but will do absolutely nothing on the teaching front.

I am faced with a very similar dilemma right now - think I want to have a federal clerkship and teach eventually. Currently full scholarship at a T3, top 2%, law review, very good regional reputation (southeast).
I've been accepted to Hastings and waiting on Boalt or Stanford (which is a long shot). I don't know if I want to be East Coast or west (although family is east coast) and I will be about $150k in debt if I transfer.

Is it worth it to go to Hastings?
What about Boalt (assuming I get accepted). What about the unmentionable fact that I am a woman and may want a family at some point?

Thanks

smileyjilley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
ToddBrown, Can I ask how you heard you were accepted at ND? Did they call/e-mail/ or regular mail? I'm waiting to hear from them, so I think that means I didn't get in!

Congratulations on the acceptance! And good luck making a decision.

toddbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »
ToddBrown, Can I ask how you heard you were accepted at ND? Did they call/e-mail/ or regular mail? I'm waiting to hear from them, so I think that means I didn't get in!

Congratulations on the acceptance! And good luck making a decision.

Hi Smiley,
   Notre Dame e-mailed me.  The e-mail was followed by some fed-ex thick packages.  I declined the ND spot, broke my heart to do it, but I did.  So that spot is open, good luck!