Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does law school education turn you into an eloquent speaker?  (Read 1884 times)

lovelyjj

• View Profile
Are most lawyers really eloquent speakers or is this just another myth? I know that most lawyers don't spend all that much time in the courtroom compared to how much time they spend writing/reading/signing documents. (Most people who do not know much about lawyers or law school would still think of trial attorneys when they hear the word 'lawyer' thoguh) I heard that some schools put more emphasis on training law students so that they can present their argument more effectively(verbally that is). Is this true? or is being eloquent speaker pretty much god given gift that can't be achieved with legal education alone? I'm also curious if it is possible for a lawyer to be a very incompetent speaker but still excel at doing stuff with documents.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does law school education turn you into an eloquent speaker?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »
Are you kidding?  Absolutely not.  Law school made me a worse writer and speaker, in many ways.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 08:32:18 PM »
If your interest lies in the courtroom, law school will give you opportunities to become a better speaker... but if you don't have the inclination to be before the bench, don't expect to see any change.
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

lovelyjj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:33:06 AM »
Are you kidding?  Absolutely not.  Law school made me a worse writer and speaker, in many ways.

Can you elaborate on that a little bit? How can it possibly make you worse?  :P

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »

This.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »

It turns you into a robot.  You write in a boring way that gets the job done, but leaves nothing to the imagination or personality.  Typical legal writing also relies on many of the techniques that you've been taught NOT to do your whole life, like using "first, second, and third."

"The issue presented is whether "point source," pursuant to the language of 18 USC 642, applies to man-made problems.  There are three main reasons for the ambiguity.

FIRST,

Second,

Third,

Blah blah blah."

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »

It turns you into a robot.  You write in a boring way that gets the job done, but leaves nothing to the imagination or personality.  Typical legal writing also relies on many of the techniques that you've been taught NOT to do your whole life, like using "first, second, and third."

"The issue presented is whether "point source," pursuant to the language of 18 USC 642, applies to man-made problems.  There are three main reasons for the ambiguity.

FIRST,

Second,

Third,

Blah blah blah."

I agree with OI, at least to your first year legal writing class. Toss everything you ever learned about writing out the door. Although law review and acedemic writting is very diffrent. Being on a law review made me a much better editor of my own work, but that's not saying much as I was/am still a pretty crappy writer even if I've been publiched several times. I clean up well, but start DIRTY.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »
Academic legal writing is just masturbation using terms like "regulatory initiative" and "hyperbolic discounting."  I wouldn't call it writing.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
Academic legal writing is just masturbation using terms like "regulatory initiative" and "hyperbolic discounting."  I wouldn't call it writing.

meh. only if you use words like that. I try to use stuff I can spell, which limits me to like five words I just use over and over. Its not so much the writing as the editing you do on a law review that makes you a better writer. Looking *&^% up in the Chicago Manunl os Style or the Rebbook.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

I'd call it writing, but you're right about the fact that some feminine hygiene product takes an hour coming up with some legal thought then spends the next ten hours coming up with terminology and phraseology with a view to making his premise as esoteric as possible.

At my school, I had to sit through an hour-long article workshop about discounting regulatory time in a hyperbolic healthcare system, or some bull like that.  The basic point is that elderly people want to live as much as possible, so they drain the medicare resources increasingly as they get older.  Yeah, f-ing duh.  I thought they wanted to die ASAP and spare the government some money.  This just in: dogs like red meat and rain makes you wet.