Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.25 GPA, 150 LSAT Southwestern Law School  (Read 5282 times)

ciciwat

• View Profile
3.25 GPA, 150 LSAT Southwestern Law School
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:51:12 PM »
I've been out of school for the past 5 years and have been working in the entertainment industry. I'd like to attend Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles and was wondering if i even have a chance with a 3.25 GPA and a 150 LSAT score. i'm planning on applying for FALL 2010- evening program. Any advice will be very helpful!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.25 GPA, 150 LSAT Southwestern Law School
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »
Don't go there. Retake the LSAT and improve or just don't go to law school.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

marmaladegirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:48:23 AM »
Actually Southwestern is a good school just poorly ranked. I know several people who did really well and went onto either transfer to a better school like UCLA, Loyola, Georgetown, etc. or they stayed on and was 10% in the class. If you are interested in Entertainment, I would recommend Southwestern b/c I know a professor or two who are the "gateways" to some in-house counsel positions in well named entertainment companies (ie Disney, Summit Entertainment, etc). But it is one of the more competitive classes to stand out.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:27:17 AM »
Actually Southwestern is a good school just poorly ranked. I know several people who did really well and went onto either transfer to a better school like UCLA, Loyola, Georgetown, etc. or they stayed on and was 10% in the class. If you are interested in Entertainment, I would recommend Southwestern b/c I know a professor or two who are the "gateways" to some in-house counsel positions in well named entertainment companies (ie Disney, Summit Entertainment, etc). But it is one of the more competitive classes to stand out.

Sure, if he's top 10% of his class he'll probably be OK, but that ain't guaranteed by a long shot.

I know it's a knee-jerk reaction on this board, but you really should retake the LSAT. Enroll in a class.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 04:19:30 AM »

If you consider a 63% bar passage rate and private tuition "good".

Top 10% almost anywhere usually does pretty good.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »
I've been out of school for the past 5 years and have been working in the entertainment industry. I'd like to attend Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles and was wondering if i even have a chance with a 3.25 GPA and a 150 LSAT score. i'm planning on applying for FALL 2010- evening program. Any advice will be very helpful!

Define "entertaiment industry" and the type of work you have performed.    ;D

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:31:03 PM »
I agree that Southwestern, for Los Angeles, isn't the worst choice a person could make.  Arguably 50% of the class is at least employable year in and year out.  Are there better options... yes.  Entertainment positions will usually go to candidates from the most elite schools with no need for the "entertainment" law background.  Most will admit that at best, entertainment programs serve the schools interests much better than the students who attend.

Take all of that, and add this as well... Even at lowly Southwestern, a 150 LSAT with at 3.25 gpa is a LONG SHOT at best... even PT.  The advice to retake is 100% credited.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz