Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will Paralegal courses help prep me for lawschool?  (Read 629 times)

lawrookie

Will Paralegal courses help prep me for lawschool?
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:56:35 PM »
I signed up for paralegal courses with an online college, do you think that will help prep me for law school?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Will Paralegal courses help prep me for lawschool?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »
No, probably not.

You generally wont learn substantive law in a paralegal course. At best you might pick up some legal research skills, but that's what your legal research course will be about. Frankly, without access to a law library and lexis/westlaw legal research training is all but useless.

If you really want to prep for law school, buy some hornbooks in the Examples & Explanations series in 1L courses.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

jollyrog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »
I signed up for paralegal courses with an online college, do you think that will help prep me for law school?

I took paralegal classes way back, and I'd echo Neal. I know my way around the library and westlaw, know how to style a case, brief a case and some basic rules of civil procedure, real property, debtor/creditor, landlord/tenant stuff, but the only things that will probably help me at all in 1L will be the research and breifing cases.

Beyond whole classes on civ pro, I'm sure they go into the major decisions  and Constitutional principles informing WHY the rules are what they are, etc, etc.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:22:11 PM »
Save your money for law school unless you plan to be a paralegal for a few years beforehand.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.