;

Author Topic: .  (Read 1508 times)

jhandin

• View Profile
    • Email
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
Deciding Between/Waiting On: Hofstra, Southwestern, Arizona, FSU, UC Irvine
c/o 2012

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What would it take to transfer to these schools?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »
See generally: transferapps group on yahoo.com

or: https://transferapps.dabbledb.com/page/transferapps/ksHIVHyH

LawMan21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »
top 5% of your class after your 1L year. gpa is irrelevant, class rank is what matters. Prolly top 10-15% to USC and UCLA

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »
OP,

Just curious, but where are you doing 1L?  You have some random schools posted.  Keep in mind that if you go to FSU, it might be more difficult to get to USC/UCLA than from Southwestern or Arizona.  There can be a bit of a geographic bias in that some schools have a "feeder" type deal with better schools.  Not that this means there is any great disparity in GPA, but it could give a little extra leeway.  Case in point, transfers from my school get into one private T20 more easily than another because one knows what our T4 is like.

Figure out what geographic area you want and then work your 1L year like you've never worked in your life.  Also, if you want NYU and Columbia, you're going to need to get started on the paperwork process earlier than last minute.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
OP,

Just curious, but where are you doing 1L?  You have some random schools posted.  Keep in mind that if you go to FSU, it might be more difficult to get to USC/UCLA than from Southwestern or Arizona.  There can be a bit of a geographic bias in that some schools have a "feeder" type deal with better schools.  Not that this means there is any great disparity in GPA, but it could give a little extra leeway.  Case in point, transfers from my school get into one private T20 more easily than another because one knows what our T4 is like.

I agree that there seems to be a bias in favor of students who are already located near a school for transfer admission.  I'm sure some of the bias comes from experience with past transfers from a particular school but I would think that the likelihood that a student will actually transfer to the school if admitted is also probably very important.  Schools probably don't like sending out multiple rounds of acceptances to people on the other side of the country to have their offers of admission rejected because the applicant got into a school closer to the applicant or where the applicant has cold feet about moving a long distance.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:20 PM »
yeah, thanks for articulating that more clearly than me.  I love my summer so much; I'm drinking on a Monday night

deexod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:18 AM »
army are you not taking classes or working?

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
working for pay full-time. I'm a transfer, so didn't bother with classes.