Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: G-Town Part Time  (Read 1572 times)

kman999

• View Profile
G-Town Part Time
« on: July 13, 2009, 01:53:54 PM »
165/3.76...Posted this in another thread but figured it deserved its own post.

Was thinking about sending an app to G-town PT...what do you think are the chances there? and also what are the positives and negatives of doing a PT program...curious to find out?

Do employers treat G-Town PT any differently, and is it easy to transfer into the full-time program?

hoyaballa

• View Profile
Re: G-Town Part Time
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »
Hi,

I think you probably have a pretty good shot, I just finished up my first year in the PT program at Georgetown and had an identical GPA and a 166 on the LSAT.  I heard they may be pretty selective since these numbers are now included in the US News rankings, but I still think you should be really competitive.

Also, I really enjoyed the part time program.  The professors were great, students were very smart and interesting, and Gtown is really good about making sure the part time students have an opp to participate in the extracurricular activities (for example PT and FT students participate in the same journals and moot court competitions).

After your first year, you can transfer to the FT program and I think probably 85% of my classmates did this if not more.  Employers don't treat students any differently because your degree, classes, etc. are all the same.  If you decide to transfer after your first year, you take summer classes in DC or in Gtown's London program to catch up.

Let me know if you have any other questions

kman999

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:20 AM »
Great, thanks a lot for the help.

The only other question, is how do you like living in DC?  I lived on 12th and M for a few months, and it was definitely a city which grew on me, and after visiting, I think I would probably prefer having the law school campus downtown rather than in Georgetown.  What do you think after a year there?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
I also started in the PT program. I experienced no prejudice (that I was aware of) during OCI.

Pro-tip on the app: Don't check the PT/FT box. Just check the PT box. Make sure your PS drums up your work experience.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

rmatha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:11:01 AM »
How much looser are the PT standards?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
They are more soft-factor intensive. Admissions rate is the same.

Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:29:40 AM »
With those numbers, why not concentrate on Duke and Cornell? 

kman999

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:30:06 PM »
Will definitely apply to some t-14 to see what happens.  Also retaking in September, figure a few pts can have a pretty big impact in my situation.

TaxLaw2010

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »
I also started in the PT program. I experienced no prejudice (that I was aware of) during OCI.

Pro-tip on the app: Don't check the PT/FT box. Just check the PT box. Make sure your PS drums up your work experience.

Just curious as to why one wouldn't check the PT/FT box.  Wouldn't the app be viewed the same for both programs?  Also, as a part time student, are classes limited to just the evenings? Or can you take daytime classes as well?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »
Just curious as to why one wouldn't check the PT/FT box.  Wouldn't the app be viewed the same for both programs?  Also, as a part time student, are classes limited to just the evenings? Or can you take daytime classes as well?

Just based on personal experience with people applying to both. They don't count it as two separate apps if you check the PT/FT box. They treat it as a FT person willing to do PT- which detracts from your attractiveness as a PT candidate.

PT classes are evening only 1L year, any time thereafter if you stay PT. Transfer is completely open (you just send an email requesting it).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?