Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Year Biglaw Associate / Author of Lifeat160 Taking Questions  (Read 6924 times)

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First Year Biglaw Associate / Author of Lifeat160 Taking Questions
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
welp, he's lost me as a reader. been checking back a few times each day. won't anymore.

It seems we were served with our first TRO on Thursday.  Check back Monday.

No offense botbot, and I generally think you've been a great poster over the years I've been here, but I just skimmed the zeroL blog there's some pretty bad advice on there.  See, e.g., transferring from Tulane to Georgetown.

I think the given answer is correct (I didn't write it but did talk it over).  Student is top 10% and has law review at Tulane.  Student is also spending the summer clerking for a federal judge.  Student will take the Tulane grades to fall oci at either school.

Student stays at Tulane, saves more than $50k, can (and will) get biglaw, and has a 40% chance of getting published.  What does transferring to GULC do for the student?

Primarily the exposure to more firms at OCI.  I'd need to know more about the student's aim with a JD, but I don't think you can say for certain that top 10% at Tulane is guaranteed Biglaw this year.  That student would have been able to get themselves in front of WAY more firms had they transferred to GULC.

I think it's an overly simplistic and optimistic answer.

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »
Primarily the exposure to more firms at OCI.  I'd need to know more about the student's aim with a JD, but I don't think you can say for certain that top 10% at Tulane is guaranteed Biglaw this year.  That student would have been able to get themselves in front of WAY more firms had they transferred to GULC.

I think it's an overly simplistic and optimistic answer.

Student at Tulane in top 10% can interview at every OCI firm.  They would not have been in front of more firms at GULC. 

Top 10% at Tulane will be competitive for any firm in NOLA, Houston, and Dallas.  Top NYC firms will be out of reach, but it isn't like going to GULC would make much of a difference in this regard.

also, not all firms are created equal.  of course, the tricky question is whether the set of firms hiring at GULC is worth $50k plus publication more than the set of firms hiring at Tulane.  they might very well not be.  who knows what's going to happen given the economy.

Yes, being at the top of GULC would open up firms not available to the top of Tulane, but this student isn't at the top of GULC.  The student will be interviewing with the Tulane grades and evaluated in very much the same matter by very much the same firms.

Also, let's not discredit the value of law review.  I can think of a two Dallas firms that require law review - even from GULC.

If the price was close, the student should have transferred, but as it isn't, the student made the right choice to stay at Tulane.  Further, if we were talking about a T6, the student should have transferred, but again, we aren't.  The student saves ~$60k staying at Tulane and will be just as competitive for a market paying job as they would be at GULC.

Like I said, you need more info about what the student wants to do with their degree.  Sure, they can get in front of every firm that does OCI at Tulane.   *Every firm that does OCI at Tulane*.  Wayyyyyyyyyy more firms OCI at GULC than Tulane.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 09:20:08 PM »

And wayyyy more students attend GULC.  And there are only so many OCI interviews a student can do.

I think it depends on what the student wants.

If NYC is the target, the student will get a lot more interviews by going to GULC. If New Orleans is the target... well, no New Orleans firms come to GULC.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »

And wayyyy more students attend GULC.  And there are only so many OCI interviews a student can do.

I think it depends on what the student wants.

If NYC is the target, the student will get a lot more interviews by going to GULC. If New Orleans is the target... well, no New Orleans firms come to GULC.

Something like 115 at GULC vs 15 at Tulane.

Although Tulane has a lame interview program up there every year with ~40 firms.

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 10:05:37 PM »
obviously, not LITERALLY every firm. 

and based on what i've seen, you're incorrect about the way firms treat transfers.

but still, we don't necessarily disagree on the bottom line.

What have you seen?  Because I've discussed this very topic with two large firm hiring partners in Dallas and each told me view the grades just as they would have at the other school.  It isn't like the #1 TTT student who transfers into NYU walks straight into WLRK.

I'm going to make a new thread as we've completely trashed this one.

I know transfers at my school who got V5s.

Also, having seen you post here for about 3 years now I know you don't admit to being wrong.  You shouldn't have answered that question and posted the answer without asking for clarification.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »
shoot, nealric's a mod too?

As of today. Best behave yourselves  8)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

eat it

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 09:20:24 PM »
Excellent job disappointing your audience numerous times.

lawguy09

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
this guy is a joke

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
i want you and PJC to present your twelve point plan for how to reverse this site's steady decline and improve it's utility as a resource for law students and law students to be.

you have until friday

It aint going to happen unless you want to write a brilliant article on section 367 of the tax code for me. However, I think we can make this a better place. :)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Now who's being naive?

armando1624

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 09:41:33 PM »
If I donít have anything nice to say, I usually wonít say anything nice at all. However, Iíll make an exception here (and Iíll try to be as nice as possible while doing it).

I actually felt bad for you after reading it. It gives the impression that you donít have anything going for you except a fat paycheck and that you are aware of this. You could have saved yourself the cost of an overpriced meal and a bottle of Dom if you had some interesting conversation/game to offer this girl.

I think you should try to grow as a person before you start documenting it in a blog. In conclusion, I feel it should be named LIFEAT120. It was a failure and about as funny as lupus (the disease, cause the word is actually pretty funny).