Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Year Biglaw Associate / Author of Lifeat160 Taking Questions  (Read 6942 times)

lifeat160

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeikes.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: First Year Biglaw Associate / Author of Lifeat160 Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »
First question: Why do you drive a TL, its really just a rebadged Honda Accord. I mean I can see if you grew up really poor and this is the first time you evere bought a new car or something and you just canít justify spending the money on a good German luxury car thatís going to be expensive when it breaks down, but Acuraís just scream Nouveau riche. Whatever you donít join a country club with that car, or we will just assume you work there and parked in the member's lot by mistake.

Second question: Whatís the point of the upcoming book? I mean is it going to be a book about law school and getting a big law job or just self congratulatory masturbation for lasting a whole year at a firm in this economy (not that its not a worthy topic, but seems like a somewhat limited target audience there).
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »
Well you made the right decision as to the 3 series. I mean 3 series plus apartment at new construction luxury gated complex in the burbs with large fountain at the entrance, plus beige walls in the 2 bedroom unit plus vintage framed commercial advertisements for French wine that you got from a bin at Crate and Barrel is about has stereotypical nouveau riche as it gets. Add an always present THULE bike/ski rack and an REI membership card sticker on the back window and your either a walking stereotype or gay. Good luck with the book. Personally I think the Tucker Max stuff is overdone, and rarely entraining other than for tragedyís sake, but if you can pull it off more power to you.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:23:24 PM »
tl;dr the whole thing

We've all read stuff like this before. Just sort of convinces me more that biglaw sucks.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
The thing about Tucker Max and the ilk is that itís so overdone to be predictable. Long before he came along people where doing the masogonstic rich spoiled kid thing in the something awful threads for years. Now itís the same stories just change the names, ages and professions of the girls. If youíve never read something awful than it may seem like a new genre, but anyone whoís familiar with the site knows most of it is two bit plagiarism at best.

I mean at least on something awful they give you something new and unexpected on occasion occasions. Youíll read four posts about all the hot chicks the investment banker banged that week, then bam the good authors will throw you a curve ball and next thing you know heís getting some nameless oral sex from a dude in the subway bathroom. You like, OK, did not see that coming, way to break the mold.

I mean common like there is anything new some 23 yo can talk about in his professional and sex life that hasnít already been written on the internet 100 times over. Give me something new, take a vacation to Costa Rica with your parents, sneak out of the villa hit up some underage transvestite hooker while you wear a giant baby diaper and smoke hash and on your firms credit card maybe Iíll read the next post.

SEC_2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »
I find it original and hilarious myself...but I also haven't scoured the internet looking for that kind of stuff, so it i the first of its kind from my vantage point. I stumbled upon your site and think its great. Keep up the chapter additions. When do you expect the book to come out?

My life was relatively interesting last xmas, but unfortunately your request isn't in there. 

I'm not really sure how to respond to being unoriginal, I get a number of messages about the uniqueness of the story/writing.  Keep reading, it might surprise you.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
I didn't find your blog to be original or even entertaining. I think the mark of a good humorist is the ability to take a mundane situation and make it funny and to make a ridiculous situation hilarious. What I read seemed trite; if I wanted to read erotica it's incredibly easy to find something sexy that doesn't end with you giving a girl a bloody nose and if I wanted to read something funny there's a thousand places I could go that can actually make me laugh. In the entry that I read, it seemed as though you were in a truly humorous situation yet lacked the ability to capitalize on the comicality, which left me unamused and also feeling kind of sorry for you as a person, which I highly doubt was the intention of your writing.

awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »
Give me something new, take a vacation to Costa Rica with your parents, sneak out of the villa hit up some underage transvestite hooker while you wear a giant baby diaper and smoke hash and on your firms credit card maybe Iíll read the next post.
Somebodies been reading my DIARY!

OP, I found it mildly interesting (for internet fare).  One small thing that I found distracting was the male character knowing the females clothes were "out of fashion" or "last years fashion".  It was reminiscent of Legally Blonde.  On the whole, there is only so much rich kid angst I can swallow.  However, that is a personal bias.  More power to you if you can turn it into cash. heh

lawguy09

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »
what time will the 7/15 posts be updated?  when will the next ones be?

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
In all I didn't find your blog to be that interesting.  I found the overall course of events to be quite bland despite your relentless efforts to spice things up with details about your mediocre sexlife, and I probably wouldn't spend my hard earned money on the book. I believe one poster questioned your purpose in writing life at 160.  Though no one can accurately answer this but you, I've come to the conclusion that you have no other purpose than to stroke your own ego.

But that was just my opinion.  I'm sure that there are others out there that think the poo is better than Shakespeare!
That being said I do wish you the best of luck.
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~