Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should you guess on a diagnostic?  (Read 664 times)

The Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
Should you guess on a diagnostic?
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:32:51 AM »
I'm starting a Testmasters course tomorrow, and the first class is a diagnostic. Obviously, it's in your best interest to guess on the real thing; a correct guess is a correct answer. However, is it counterproductive to guess on a diagnostic? It seems to me that if your trying to accurately gauge how well you are doing, you would only want correct answers resulting from skill and not guesses. What do you think?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should you guess on a diagnostic?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
During my preparation for the LSAT I tended to answer all of the questions in the time allotted to me.

But occasionally, especially in the beginning of my prep, I would be left with a question or two unanswered. I always guessed. Why? Because you're allowed to do so on the test - so really, the question is "Why not?"

IMO, it is useful to practice guessing in itself. For example, I would quickly eliminate answers that were completely off and make a best guess between those two or three plausible answer choices. This is not a skill you want to be without when sitting for the real thing.

Also, make a mental note of which answers you guessed (or physical notation, such as an asterisk, etc). Then review the question more carefully during your postmortem.

Bottom line: for a first diagnostic, guess. Chances are, you'll have to guess one or two answers in Sept anyway.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:09:47 AM »
I'd say to guess.  But make sure that you actually go back and try to figure out what the correct answer is...

AtlasLSATMike

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »
Take the practice exams like the real thing, and go ahead and guess.

However, like the other posters have mentioned, make sure to make note, as you take the exam, of which problems you guessed on, so you can review them more fully afterwards.

The Mark

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »
I appreciate the advice. I didn't do so well on the first diagnostic. I'm pretty bummed out. I'll get it, though.

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
I appreciate the advice. I didn't do so well on the first diagnostic. I'm pretty bummed out. I'll get it, though.

Not many of us do well on our first practice tests.  Just makes us want to study even more :D