Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: the unmovable date- advice and perspective needed  (Read 4310 times)

salvador hardin

• View Profile
    • Email
the unmovable date- advice and perspective needed
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »
 I'm getting married next summer, but I have been hesitant to set up a date because I have no way of knowing if it may conflict with whatever summer employment opportunity I obtain(my fiance is sympathetic to this problem thankfully). Is there generally any flexibility in dates of employment? Is there a period (for example the end of July), that I can reasonably expect most opportunities to terminate?

GoldiLawks

• View Profile
Re: the unmovable date- advice and perspective needed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »
Most summer jobs are 12 weeks max. Flexibility depends on where you are working - some firms have a few start dates to choose from, others just have one start date. Even then, there may be some flexibility if you talk to them. Generally, I would say August would be a good time to get married.

salvador hardin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »
Thank you, that's very helpful.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:29:47 AM »
Most summer jobs are 12 weeks max. Flexibility depends on where you are working - some firms have a few start dates to choose from, others just have one start date. Even then, there may be some flexibility if you talk to them. Generally, I would say August would be a good time to get married.

Beginning of August is especially good - most summer programs have either ended, but even if they haven't, leaving one week early for something big like getting married won't make an impact provided you've done a good job, etc.  And early August is generally before OCI heats up.  I got married early August summer of 2L and it worked perfectly.

Granted, the honeymoon had to wait for a year, and we took an extended honeymoon/bar trip, but it was almost worth it to wait!