Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody else as terrified about starting law school next month as I am?  (Read 4853 times)

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

My studying methods were very similar to yours.  I recommend your approach, for what it's worth!

and what exactly is it worth??  (grades-wise)

as for this year, i'm hella pumped to get started.  i've got the next four weeks laid out to really prepare me to get a running start come the first week of school.  i'm trying to pace my excitement and anxiousness so that i don't wear myself out with it a month before class starts. 

overall though, i cannot wait for school to start.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

as for this year, i'm hella pumped to get started.  i've got the next four weeks laid out to really prepare me to get a running start come the first week of school.  i'm trying to pace my excitement and anxiousness so that i don't wear myself out with it a month before class starts. 

I am very lucky to be in the top 5% at my school. However, I know others who do very well and their study habits are much different than mine.  A person must find the studying habits that are best for him/her.   

And you're right--don't wear yourself out.  Law school is a marathon, not a sprint.  Slow but steady wins the race.   :)

redcement

• View Profile

There is going to be a lot of reading which will require a lot of time. If you struggle with focus on one topic, don't worry, there will be plenty to read for each class almost every night. Generally, I found the formula pretty simple. Read everything before you go to class. Take detailed notes on your reading. Go to class. Take abridged notes in class focusing on things that the professor emphasizes. After class, review your notes in the areas that the professor seemed to pay most attention to as well as any areas you still don't fully understand.

If you are able to dedicate yourself to this process for the better part of 6 days a week, you will be more than fine.

Thank you MPK. I just got my Orientation assignments, so this is getting real for this soon-to-be 1L. Your directions seem simple--not easy, but better than the complicated map in my imagination.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I am very lucky to be in the top 5% at my school. However, I know others who do very well and their study habits are much different than mine.  A person must find the studying habits that are best for him/her.   

And you're right--don't wear yourself out.  Law school is a marathon, not a sprint.  Slow but steady wins the race.   :)

2L at WSUCoL, right?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just do your reading for the first semester and you'll be fine. The rest will come in time.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email

2L at WSUCoL, right?

UF, IIRC.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

chi2009

• View Profile
Has anybody gone to a law school prep course?  My school keeps sending me these notices stressing how important it is to go to this week-long "prep" course to go over what it takes to be successful in law school.  I've been reading the prep books - Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, etc. - and it seems pretty straight forward.  Identify the facts and legal issues and apply the law.  But these notices are making me really anxious.  Has any body gone to one of these, and was it even helpful??  I'd have to take off my last week of work, losing my last week of income!

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!

2L at WSUCoL, right?

I think this was a joke that mised its mark
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think this was a joke that mised its mark

I was thinking that this might be the case.