Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody else as terrified about starting law school next month as I am?  (Read 4837 times)

jhandin

• View Profile
    • Email
I've been reading Law School Confidential, and it has helped me quite a bit.  But I'm still feeling anxious.  Anybody else?
Deciding Between/Waiting On: Hofstra, Southwestern, Arizona, FSU, UC Irvine
c/o 2012

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

OhioUTOD

• Notre Dame Law Class of 2012
    • View Profile
    • Email
Terrified? No. Anxious? Somewhat. Also: extremely excited to make the most of the opportunities that I know are going to be presented to me (all opportunities: academic, professional, social).

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm nervous too.

Gary Stiltner

• View Profile
    • Email
I have been dying to just get started but as it gets closer, I start thinking, "Am I up to this?"

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I would be worried if you weren't somewhat anxious about starting law school, but don't be terrified.  It's really not as bad as it seems.

Now, if you're terrified that you're not going to like your career path, however, then that's a different story!  :D

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I have been dying to just get started but as it gets closer, I start thinking, "Am I up to this?"
QFT  :)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Not so much terrified... but, I am extremely anxious.  I began studying for the LSAT in December '07, took the thing in June '08, spent the entire time after that going through the admissions process.  I read up all of the books I can about the law school experience, not because I think that they can help me, but because I'm just so ready for the culmination of this entire process.

Anxious is the word.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

lovelyjj

• View Profile
The thing that really worries me is how law students always have to be so 'disciplined' in order to succeed. Most of us are pretty well disciplined academically of course. But reading about how much you have to study daily (some say 2~3 hours, others 5,8 even 10 hours a day) really makes me worried because I'm the type of person who can't focus on a single thing for such a long time. I would really enjoy learning about the law/competing with other students, but having to 'live by' a strictly scheduled studying program would put so much pressure on me. I really wish law school is somewaht similar to college(lots of free time, difficult but managable materials and enough social life) but it sounds like that is not always the case. (at least from what I've heard)  :P

jhandin

• View Profile
    • Email
Deciding Between/Waiting On: Hofstra, Southwestern, Arizona, FSU, UC Irvine
c/o 2012

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
If you notice, though, every one of the former-students interviewed in Law School Confidential had rocking jobs... and excellent summer positions.  In other words, they were the best of the best.

What I am trying to say is that the people who are describing this scary experience were at the top of their class... the kinds of people that might tend to be OCD over things and cause themselves to have a Turow-like 1L experience.  I have the feeling the law school is what you make it to be.  If you want to stress yourself out totally and be assured you'll do pretty well... you can.  If you want to have a more human experience, that is possible as well.  The people in LSC, I think, chose the former option... and it seems to have served them well.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN