Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody else as terrified about starting law school next month as I am?  (Read 4733 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Has anybody gone to a law school prep course?  My school keeps sending me these notices stressing how important it is to go to this week-long "prep" course to go over what it takes to be successful in law school.  I've been reading the prep books - Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, etc. - and it seems pretty straight forward.  Identify the facts and legal issues and apply the law.  But these notices are making me really anxious.  Has any body gone to one of these, and was it even helpful??  I'd have to take off my last week of work, losing my last week of income!

Last year, FSU had an optional one week program right before the semester started. The few people I talked to that did it said they thought it helped, especially right at the start of the year, but probably wasn't a huge difference maker.

So... probably don't worry about it unless you want to jump in a week early.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Gruitza

You guys brought up some really great points with this post! Exciting and inspiring!  ;D I cant wait until August!

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Has anybody gone to a law school prep course?  My school keeps sending me these notices stressing how important it is to go to this week-long "prep" course to go over what it takes to be successful in law school.  I've been reading the prep books - Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, etc. - and it seems pretty straight forward.  Identify the facts and legal issues and apply the law.  But these notices are making me really anxious.  Has any body gone to one of these, and was it even helpful??  I'd have to take off my last week of work, losing my last week of income!

My school holds one for certain invited students.  I wasn't planning on attending, as I thought I might put the time to better use, but then I picked up the reading packets and agenda, and after reading through the cases, figure, why not?  Plus, we get a small stipend.  If nothing else, it gets us familiar with our surroundings and introduces us to some of the profs.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

jbakguy

• View Profile
My school had a four day orientation was VERY HELPFUL, but they also sent out recommendations for a pay prep course that I heard from several people was worthless.  If an orientation is free go to it, listen, and meet people. If there is a charge, you are probably better served reading for the first week of class. IMO.

Also it's not a bad idea to read MATTHIES posts and start networking.