Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Teach For America?  (Read 947 times)

Ms Pac Man

• View Profile
Teach For America?
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »
Hey guys -

I'm relatively new to LSD and have enjoyed the info, but now I have a question.  I recently received my undergrad and I am trying to decide what kind of grad school I want to attend.  I have been leaning towards law school, but because I'm not sure I decided to take a year or so to try and decide.  I have a friend who just finished her first year with Teach For America and I was considering applying so that I can do something that is interesting and looks good on my resume.  Does anyone know how law schools (or any grad schools for that matter) look at Teach For America? If you have any feedback on the subject please let me know!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Teach For America?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
My SO just completed a year of TFA. She has rather mixed emotions about it (decided not to continue for a second year). The experiences of her fellow corps members has ranged from it being one of the worst experiences of their lives to absolutely loving it.

I think it will be viewed as a plus, though not an overwhelming one.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:07:02 PM »
Law schools really do not care that much about soft factors.  They probably should, but they don't.  Your undergrad GPA and LSAT score are really the only factors they care about.  So nealric is correct, it will be viewed as a plus, though not an overwhelming one.  From a maturity standpoint, however, taking a year or two off generally is a good thing so long as you look like you're doing something useful during that time.

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:29:34 PM »
I also have friends who have gone both ways on TFA. Keep in mind that if you really want to do TFA and then go to law school many places will let you defer the two years as well. There are enough TFA people that it is not going to stand out on your resume but it can be a small plus and several schools will grant you fee waivers. Teaching in a struggling school is not something you should do without really being committed to it though. My friends who decided to do it for the perceived resume boost are the ones who really struggled with the experience. You do have to teach all day and also attend graduate-level education classes. TFA also expects you to be in your placement for two years, so it isn't a good one-year stop gap.