Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Teach For America?  (Read 2987 times)

Ms Pac Man

• View Profile
Teach For America?
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
Hey guys -

I'm relatively new to LSD and have enjoyed the info, but now I have a question.  I recently received my undergrad and I am trying to decide what kind of grad school I want to attend.  I have been leaning towards law school, but because I'm not sure I decided to take a year or so to try and decide.  I have a friend who just finished her first year with Teach For America and I was considering applying so that I can do something that is interesting and looks good on my resume.  Does anyone know how law schools (or any grad schools for that matter) look at Teach For America? If you have any feedback on the subject please let me know!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Teach For America?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »
I don't know how law schools view it, but I implore you NOT to do TFA if you're just doing it for a resume boost. Teaching in some of our nation's most challenging schools is a huge undertaking: emotionally, financially, and oftentimes physically. I really caution you not to use this as a way of boosting your stature in the eyes of adcomms. The kids deserve better, as do you.

/soapbox rant.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Leverandon

• AOL Instant Messenger - NadoSteve
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
I just finished my two year commitment as a Teach for America Corps Member. It has been the most challenging experience of my life. I am profoundly greatful for the opportunity to serve as an elementary school teacher in Harlem.

However, you should NOT do the program as a resume builder. If that is the reason that you join TFA, you will end up having several hellish months and then quitting. I know so many people who had similar situations.

It has also been my experience (and that of my colleagues) that TFA does not help you get into/get into a better law school. You'll get into pretty much whatever schools your GPA/LSAT would otherwise qualify you to get in.

Bottom line: TFA is an amazing and worthwhile program that is doing great work in the inner city/rural America, but do not do it thinking it will help you get into law school.

Ms Pac Man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:09:34 PM »
I guess I did forget to mention my somewhat philanthropic motive in this too.  I would never do it just for a resume booster, I have just heard that may be an added bonus.