Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: low LSAT score  (Read 13561 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 144 LSAT score/ Low GPA
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 01:25:22 AM »
everyone's opinion is really great....  :)  I'm sure i'll make a wise decision. 

I have another question...

I was thinking about taking the following courses at a local community college:  legal research and legal writing.  Will this help on my applications? 

No, it won't help. The only things that really matter (like 95% of the time) are LSAT, GPA, and possibly URM status.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: low LSAT score
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 03:37:25 PM »
I politely disagree with the previous posts.
Law school applications are more than numbers.  You get a personal statement.  That statement can be a huge boost to an application, and spending some time in that statement talking about taking some college level courses post graduation to show that your UGGPA is not indicative of the sort of student you would be now can be helpful.

I wouldn't enroll as a full time student, but it just can't hurt to take a class and do well, especially if it has been a while since you were in academia. 

I don't disagree that GPA and LSAT scores are integral, nor do I think a retake is a bad idea.  You should retake.  I do think taking a course and doing well speaks volumes to an admissions board as to the type of student you can be.  Applying to law school straight out of college gives you very little wiggle room on an app.  Applying after you have a little real-world experience is a different story altogether.
Good luck.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »
Hello Everyone...
I have a low LSAT score.     ???

Don't retake it. Just apply to the schools you want. If they need the money and have seats left, then they'll let you in.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
Law school applications are more than numbers.  You get a personal statement.  That statement can be a huge boost to an application, and spending some time in that statement talking about taking some college level courses post graduation to show that your UGGPA is not indicative of the sort of student you would be now can be helpful.

I wouldn't enroll as a full time student, but it just can't hurt to take a class and do well, especially if it has been a while since you were in academia. 

I don't disagree that GPA and LSAT scores are integral, nor do I think a retake is a bad idea.  You should retake.  I do think taking a course and doing well speaks volumes to an admissions board as to the type of student you can be.  Applying to law school straight out of college gives you very little wiggle room on an app.  Applying after you have a little real-world experience is a different story altogether.
Good luck.

I do think WE can be one of the few softs that make a difference (I think mine helped me), but probably only when you're already a borderliner.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
Hello Everyone...

Don't retake it. Just apply to the schools you want. If they need the money and have seats left, then they'll let you in.

A true recipe for failure.

Aren't you still working on the LSAT?

Chronic Procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »

Good luck.

There is the personal statement and there are other factors that are taken into consideration, but the numbers come first.

OP: Study and retake.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
Hello Everyone...

If you speak fluent spanish, then you can go to an ABA approved law school in Puerto Rico with a low LSAT score of 120.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »
The PR schools require the EXADEP in addition to the LSAT. They probably put more weight on that.

see:

http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/menuitem.435c0b5cc7bd0ae7015d9510c3921509/?vgnextoid=3d83e3b5f64f4010VgnVCM10000022f95190RCRD

And 120 isn't going to cut it, though they are taking people with scores in the 130s.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA0910.pdf

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA0979.pdf

If you speak fluent spanish, then you can go to an ABA approved law school in Puerto Rico with a low LSAT score of 120.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 07:06:53 PM »
Heres a hint for you  ;) ABA Law schools will let you in with a low 120 LSAT score if they didn't fill up all their seats and they have room. They would rather have your $150,000.00 for that one seat, then let it go empty. You have to keep bothering them even after you get your denial letter, to let them know you're still interested in attending. You always have the right to appeal their decision. Even if the school policy is not to allow anybody in below a 150 LSAT, they don't go by that. They just had to put that there so they don't look desperate.

I have a friend who attended a T3 law school with a low LSAT in the 120's. He also graduated at the top of his class. 

I have another friend who had a 172 LSAT score and tried 4 years in a row to get into a T3 law school in the town he lived in. He wasn't willing to move, so he had to attend that one school because he had a family. The school refused to allow him in.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 08:06:41 AM »
Heres a hint for you  ;) ABA Law schools will let you in with a low 120 LSAT score if they didn't fill up all their seats and they have room. They would rather have your $150,000.00 for that one seat, then let it go empty. You have to keep bothering them even after you get your denial letter, to let them know you're still interested in attending. You always have the right to appeal their decision. Even if the school policy is not to allow anybody in below a 150 LSAT, they don't go by that. They just had to put that there so they don't look desperate.

I have a friend who attended a T3 law school with a low LSAT in the 120's. He also graduated at the top of his class. 

I have another friend who had a 172 LSAT score and tried 4 years in a row to get into a T3 law school in the town he lived in. He wasn't willing to move, so he had to attend that one school because he had a family. The school refused to allow him in.

The bad ones will take a 120ish person to fill a seat. The good ones will go ahead and go without.