Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting College This Fall ... What must I do to get into a top law school?  (Read 707 times)

NealJ2K

• View Profile
    • Email

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
At least in my experience, I've found that I've been most successful when I pursued things that I was truly interested in, without any thought as to how this looks on a resume/future application. I took the classes I thought I would like the most, pursued the extracurrics I was most interested in, and only took job opportunities that I liked. This worked out really well for me, because since I was happy, I wanted to put in the work and did really well.

So my advice is - do what you like. On the basest level, all that matters for law school admissions is GPA/LSAT. Your major, extracurrics, jobs, etc. are all irrelevant (it's good to have them, but it doesn't really make a difference as to whether it is Club A or Club B, Major A or Major B, etc). Pursue what interests you, what you think will make you happy, and you'll probably find yourself to be successful.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
At least in my experience, I've found that I've been most successful when I pursued things that I was truly interested in, without any thought as to how this looks on a resume/future application. I took the classes I thought I would like the most, pursued the extracurrics I was most interested in, and only took job opportunities that I liked. This worked out really well for me, because since I was happy, I wanted to put in the work and did really well.

So my advice is - do what you like. On the basest level, all that matters for law school admissions is GPA/LSAT. Your major, extracurrics, jobs, etc. are all irrelevant (it's good to have them, but it doesn't really make a difference as to whether it is Club A or Club B, Major A or Major B, etc). Pursue what interests you, what you think will make you happy, and you'll probably find yourself to be successful.

+1
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

violaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I did an economics major, but I also did a music major.  And like heartbreaker, I have done clubs, activities, and jobs that I enjoyed, and just made sure that I was involved.  Just don't be bored!

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
ditto on what heartbreaker said. i did a minor in music and lots of local community theatre, and i think if anything, it helped my application slightly (diversity of interests, since i was majoring in poli sci and communications, and did a lot of legal internships). don't be bored, but also give yourself time to go out and have fun. college isn't just all about doing everything right for a law school application and as long as you're not out getting drunk every night, your GPA shouldn't suffer.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Get the best GPA you can.

Beyond that, enjoy college!  It should be a fabulous life experience, and it would be a tragic waste if you spent the entire four years doing only what you needed to do to get into a good law school at the expense of other things.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Lizette93

• View Profile
    • Email
You've read around & took a look at schoolmasters so you know what grades or scores are necessary for the top schools, but you are asking what else should you be aware of and what you must do or achieve while in college in order to assure yourself a spot in a top law school? I guess, you are old to know the what's and how's of your life.