Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Villanova vs. Rutgers-Camden  (Read 3360 times)

Lauren1213

• View Profile
Villanova vs. Rutgers-Camden
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
I was just accepted into Villanova off the waitlist.  Does anyone have an opinion on the two?  Villanova is ranked higher, but is the national reputation better, too?  I know regionally, my prospects are better, I was just curious about anyone's thoughts about Villanova.

THANK YOU!

amandav1286

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Villanova vs. Rutgers-Camden
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 02:48:09 PM »
personally, i think rutgers has a better overall reputation nationally than villanova, although villanova is ranked slightly higher.  i actually went to rutgers for undergraduate and in the northeast rutgers graduates do well as the school is highly regarded.  plus, if you're from nj, the tuition is much cheaper at rutgers-camden as opposed to nova.  i am also on villanova's waitlist as well as rutgers- camden.  when/ how did you find out? what were your scores?... if you don't mind me asking. i am currently going to attend umiami if i don't get off one of the two waitlists. also, what actions did you take in attempt to get off the lists?

swc5018

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:39:15 PM »
I'm not positive about Rut. Camden, but I know Rut. Newark offers in state tuition to anyone who has a signed lease in NJ, if that makes a difference.

Lauren1213

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »
thank you for your input!

My lsat score is 157 and my gpa was 3.52.  I was accepted into Rutgers right away, but just got off Villanova's waitlist this Monday.  I didn't do anything more than wait. 

I'm still not sure that Villanova is worth the extra costs.  Although, it has a decent international program whereas Rutgers doesn't as much.  But I am looking to relocate after I graduate, just study for a different bar. 

So you think Rutgers will give me a better chance of moving to the west coast? Granted I do a lot of networking on my own?

Thanks!

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »
Neither school is good for the west coast. It will be difficult to network in the west b/c of the lack of alums out there. Not to say it can't be done but you are facing a very steep uphill battle going to either school trying to do that.

International Law:

http://www.annaivey.com/iveyfiles/2008/11/international_law_believe_the_hype

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »
If you want to practice on the West Coast, you need to go to school on the West Coast. You're looking outside of the top schools which means that regional ties will be more important than just ranking. Have you been admitted to any West Coast schools? Did you apply to schools there? That's really where you should be looking. Forget about both Rutgers and Villanova.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

amandav1286

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
Obviously, going to school on the west coast would be a better choice, but I don't agree that it's impossible to practice on the west coast after attending either school. Rutgers is an excellent school and highly regarded all over the country whereas I think villanova's name isn't as widely known across the nation. Rutgers is the way to go... I went there undergrad and loved it...and you def can't beat in state tuition! Good luck!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »
It wouldn't be impossible to go to the west coast but it would be difficult from either Rutgers or Villanova. It is not exactly a great legal market out there no matter where you are, I would really think about what your plans are and maybe consider waiting a year to get into a west coast school, especially if you can get your LSAT above a 160. Food for thought.

Villanova did just build a new law school, I hear it is pretty nice.  I have heard that in state tuition is very easy to get in NJ and that would make all the difference to me, if you do choose to attend this year.  Hope it works out for you.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »
If you have to go to either of those two, pick the one that's least expensive. But I strongly disagree that Rutgers is highly regarded nationwide. Honestly, here in California, many people are not familiar with the school and those that are are just familiar with the football team (which doesn't really speak to the academic strengths). With firms cutting back on the number of schools from which they recruit and the grade cut-offs for firms becoming more stringent, it behooves you to be in the market in which you'd like to work. For example, if choosing between those schools and Loyola and want to practice in LA, it's a no brainer for Loyola. I'd argue that Southwestern would be a better choice too. People in the market will be more familiar with local schools and you'll also have the opportunity to start networking in that market. Networking efforts from across the country will be exceedingly difficult and expensive and not as likely to yield positive results.

Good luck either way!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Lauren1213

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 09:05:43 AM »
Thank you all for your advice.

Rutgers-Camden would be the cheapest, especially if i can get in-state tuition, and i have a $2,000/yr. scholarship.  I don't have anything from Villanova.  Villanova has an interesting JD/LLM program that I can finish in 3 years, which is really what's making me consider the extra $$. I also might be able to spend a semester in a CA school. 

As far as schools in CA, I was accepted into Pacific McGeorge with a $12,000/yr. scholarship, but I was concerned about how regional it was.  But the campus and the people were really nice, I just thought it would be the best to go to the best school that i got into? I could try to transfer to Santa Clara, which i was looking at earlier, but I know that's not something to bank on. If I can't move to CA right away, that's fine, I'll work on the East Coast for a few years. 

Since I've already been out of college for two years in AmeriCorps,  I feel like I really need to get started with school. I suppose what I'm asking is, did i make a mistake not going to McGeorge?