Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Problems studying for the LSAT.............should I be nervous?  (Read 1505 times)

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
Okay well I've been studying for the LSAT for 5wks now and I'm still having trouble focusing on the questions enough to do them in a desirable time frame.  I often end up completely zoning out. After every 2 or 3 questions I find myself staring into space. It took me over an hour to get through 26 arguments. I don't plan to take the test until December, but I fear that my speed will never increase.  Did anyone else have this problem? If so how did you deal with it?
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

Atlas LSAT Teacher

• View Profile
    • www.AtlasLSAT.com
    • Email
Re: Problems studying for the LSAT.............should I be nervous?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »
That's a tough one.  Perhaps you should try building up your focus stamina.  Start with just focusing on 3 questions, then 6, and so on.  I studied ADD (which is NOT to say that you suffer from that) and learned that people can learn to develop focus through certain exercises.  Perhaps this sounds a bit hokey to you, but you may want to try meditation, which can be seen as practicing mental focus.  Good luck.
 - Noah 
Noah Teitelbaum
Atlas LSAT Teacher & Director
http://www.atlaslsat.com

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
That's a tough one.  Perhaps you should try building up your focus stamina.  Start with just focusing on 3 questions, then 6, and so on.  I studied ADD (which is NOT to say that you suffer from that) and learned that people can learn to develop focus through certain exercises.  Perhaps this sounds a bit hokey to you, but you may want to try meditation, which can be seen as practicing mental focus.  Good luck.
 - Noah 

The ADD excercises are true, it can help. An easy one to do and help you keep focused is go back to grade school days and use your finger as you read. I know its seems wiered but the finger moving under the words keeps your mid focused on waht your reading so your less likley to zone out. Its combining reading with a tactile touch so you tsay focused (and some studys say recall more) I used this meathed all trhough law school otherwise I would get to the bottom of a page and realize I don't remeber any of it. I have really bad dyslexia and really bad ADHD, and it really helped me to concenrtrate. The other thing is reading outloud, but that's not good for test taking! Try the finger thing, it might help.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Sheshe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:17:36 PM »
Those were some pretty good suggestions you guys.  I tried the finger thing today & it seemed to help a bit.  I also plan on trying to build up my "focus stamina" it seems like that might be the biggest help to me in the long run.  If anyone has anymore suggestions I'm wide open! I'll try anything!  ;D
A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

~Thomas Jefferson~

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Those were some pretty good suggestions you guys.  I tried the finger thing today & it seemed to help a bit.  I also plan on trying to build up my "focus stamina" it seems like that might be the biggest help to me in the long run.  If anyone has anymore suggestions I'm wide open! I'll try anything!  ;D

Keep trying the finger thing, the more you do it the beter its gets. Good luck!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37:48 AM »

As a favour to the board, I'm qouting this to be used in someone's sig line.

I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »

As a favour to the board, I'm qouting this to be used in someone's sig line.

LOL