Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago RD  (Read 7236 times)

widennumber2

• View Profile
Re: Chicago RD
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
Anyone have housing tips?  I'm planning on making a weekend trip to check out as many decent apartments as possible and hopefully sign a lease.

uchi11

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »
I have heard that a place called "Regents" is a good bet, but expensive.  Their 2br apartments are a little more affordable, so finding a roommate could cut down on costs

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »
Anyone have housing tips?  I'm planning on making a weekend trip to check out as many decent apartments as possible and hopefully sign a lease.

Are you looking in the Hyde Park area or somewhere closer to downtown?

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
I'm planning on living in HP.  It's significantly cheaper, plus I would have a shorter commute (maybe even biking/walking).  I have a friend at my current school who said that there is no shortage of nice little studios scattered around the campus.  She also mentioned the Regents, but had mixed reviews.  I think I'm going to shoot for a nice, affordable studio in the vicinity of the school.

uchi11

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
are you in touch with a real estate agent, or are you familiar with the area?

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »
no, and no.  but i'm thinking it might be worth it to use an agent this time around.  i am moving to an area of Chicago of which i have no familiarity, and i will likely be at this apartment for two years... it might be worth paying a fee.

anyway, keep me updated on what you are all doing.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »
In Chicago, generally the agents are paid by the apartment.  I'm not sure if or how it affects any special promotions, though.

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 03:14:12 PM »
Sorry to intrude on the transfer thread.  I just wanted to say that w/r/t choosing housing, I think there is a decent sized group of rising 2Ls that decided to remain in Regents Park next year, so if being around classmates is appealing to you, you should check it out.

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
Sorry to intrude on the transfer thread.  I just wanted to say that w/r/t choosing housing, I think there is a decent sized group of rising 2Ls that decided to remain in Regents Park next year, so if being around classmates is appealing to you, you should check it out.

You're not intruding at all!  While on the topic: do you have any thoughts on Regents Park?  Did you have a good experience?

finderskeepers

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »
I have no complaints about Regents.  It may be expensive for HP, but it is not that expensive for the city. 

The apartments are clean/new looking and pretty spacious, and the building feels very safe - there is always someone working in the lobby and parking garage and you have to swipe a keyfob to get past the lobby. 

I also really like the fact that it has a gym, dry cleaners, market, computer lab, off-street covered parking (although its realy expensive), and grill (esp nice when you're studying for finals and don't want to cook) in the building.

It's also pretty convenient to buses going downtown and to the law school.  It's the first stop on the 172 bus going to the law school, which is great in the mornings when the buses get extremely crowded.  If you live at stop further along the route, sometimes the bus is too full and the driver will pass by those stops, which has to be awful when its -10 degrees out.