Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FT student accepted GULC PT  (Read 4924 times)

transfer957

• View Profile
FT student accepted GULC PT
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »
Hey everyone.

I'm at a 70-80, FT student, law review eligible. I have been accepted to GULC PT after applying FT/PT. I will be moving across the country if I accept. I need to know more about the ramifications of PT study and all that. Any advice would be invaluable, especially considering I have 3-4 days to decide.

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: FT student accepted GULC PT
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
For what it is worth, and since this is GULC it may be different, but PT students tend to carry a stigma (deserved or not) because although they ultimately complete the same degree they are not put under the same pressure. I know there are going to be a lot of people who disagree, but they take an average of 9 credits a semester compared to 15. The PT students only had 2 exams and LRW 1st semester here at my school. I understand some work and have other commitments, but a lot do not and they were afforded the same amount of time to prepare for 2 finals that we were given for 4. Career services even gave a presentation talking about how unless you need to go PT you shouldn't because employers will want to know why you choose PT. But, again, because you are looking at GULC it may be different and may not have the same effect or stigma attached.

Oldguy48

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
I am carrying 13 credit next semester, will be working full time (40-50 hours a week) coaching two soccer teams (although the 8 year olds are pretty low maintenance) and trying to make sure I have some connection with my wife.  My heart bleeds for the full time students.....

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
I am carrying 13 credit next semester, will be working full time (40-50 hours a week) coaching two soccer teams (although the 8 year olds are pretty low maintenance) and trying to make sure I have some connection with my wife.  My heart bleeds for the full time students.....
\
Seriously..... ::)

ZOMG 9 credits + 50 hours work = EZ FUN LAW SCHOOLZ
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
I apologize if you felt I was dumping on PT students, I understand that some of you work full time, take care of families, and have other commitments that make FT study impossible (but there are some that have no such commitments). All I was saying is that there is sometimes a stigma attached to PT students (regardless of whether it is deserved or not) and it is something to take into account when deciding on whether to go PT.

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:43:08 AM »
Thank you lawtransfer22. Does anyone else out there have any input?? I am a young student. And i will be moving across the country. I am unsure of jobs during the year. I could become more heavily involved in journal and moot court activities. GULC PT is #1 in USNWR as well. Still uncertain. It would cost me another $60k in debt and 1 more year of my life. Leaning toward staying put at this point.

You should ask if they could change your program to full time instead. Anyone have any thoughts on asking them to change, or transferring over while in the program?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
Check your messages, transfer.

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:05:51 AM »
Hey everyone.

I'm at a 70-80, FT student, law review eligible. I have been accepted to GULC PT after applying FT/PT. I will be moving across the country if I accept. I need to know more about the ramifications of PT study and all that. Any advice would be invaluable, especially considering I have 3-4 days to decide.

I'm in the same exact situation. I am a FT student accepted PT. I really do not want to go part time and stay an extra year. ANYONE with any help on the subject would be appreciated. I want to call up the office and ask them if they can switch me to FT, any thoughts?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 06:27:08 AM »
Responded to your message.

Checked my messages. Responded. Not sure if it sent. Let me know if you got it or not. I am still welcoming others to weigh in on my situation as well. Thanks again big fat box.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 09:27:22 AM »
Just an FYI you don't have to take an extra year, assuming georgetown is like my schools PT you can still finish in 3 years it just means taking more than the standard PT student load. Hell about 25% of my PT class graduated in three years AND worked fulltime.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.