Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FT student accepted GULC PT  (Read 4724 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: FT student accepted GULC PT
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »
Earliest possible completion is 2.5 yrs from now with summer classes. 3 years without summer classes. At Georgetown, PT students take 8-11 credits. Special permission/circumstances are required for 12 credits. Georgetown PT is not like the PT at Matthies' law school. This information has been verified by the Director of Admissions at Georgetown.

Well that sucks. Here we could not take more than 12 credits w/o permmsion from the Dean of Students, but if your grades where good enough they would let you take as many as 18 in one semester. I took 9-11 credits plus 3-6 in summers and graduated in 4 years, but the last smester (this past one) I only took one class and studying for the bar, so I could have done it in 3.5 but I planned out the last sesmster this way. Eitherway your at GULC, PT won't be a hinderanc for you, and if you do it right it can give you an advatange over FT.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 08:55:12 PM »
For what it is worth, and since this is GULC it may be different, but PT students tend to carry a stigma (deserved or not) because although they ultimately complete the same degree they are not put under the same pressure. I know there are going to be a lot of people who disagree, but they take an average of 9 credits a semester compared to 15. The PT students only had 2 exams and LRW 1st semester here at my school. I understand some work and have other commitments, but a lot do not and they were afforded the same amount of time to prepare for 2 finals that we were given for 4. Career services even gave a presentation talking about how unless you need to go PT you shouldn't because employers will want to know why you choose PT. But, again, because you are looking at GULC it may be different and may not have the same effect or stigma attached.

There is no stigma at GULC. Most FT students are impressed by those who work FT in the PT program. Since OP is a transfer, it will indeed be at least a 2.5 year program for him. Frankly, I think it's an excellent idea as it gives another year to wait out the recession as well as an opportunity to mitigate debt by working.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

tiesto82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 09:37:20 AM »
I actually was in a similar boat.  I discussed this with numerous professors, counselors, G-town students, and attorney (where I work).  Georgetown seems to be somewhat of an outlier because of its size.  With close to 700 students in the pt/ft program per graduating class it can be exponentially difficult to stand out to the faculty and while Georgetown can open a lot of doors, the doors can be difficult to discover because of the information gap.  In addition you are foregoing your chance to participate in OCI this summer.

I don't know what your career goals are but if you are aiming for a clerkship after graduation then you may find it difficult to procure even an interview as you may have a difficult time developing strong enough relationships with professors.

I personally refuse to make these sacrifices to join a part time program.  I withdrew from GULC part time and requested to be reconsidered for ft only and they granted this request.

raheeltransfers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 10:23:42 PM »
Dear tiesto, when did you withdraw from GULC P/t offer? I am a P/T only applicant (I work fulltime and with family and job there is no way I can do FT.. different priorities..) I applied EA at GULC and was deferred. Later, I was "preferred-waitlisted"

While I am happy I was not rejected outright, I am concerned how likely this P.W.L is to turn into an acceptance - something no one can answer but I am trying to get an idea how many students will withdraw G'town P/T offers...

thanks for withdrawing - i am hoping this helps me but who really knows how many people (on W/L) are there like myself.

raheel

I actually was in a similar boat.  I discussed this with numerous professors, counselors, G-town students, and attorney (where I work).  Georgetown seems to be somewhat of an outlier because of its size.  With close to 700 students in the pt/ft program per graduating class it can be exponentially difficult to stand out to the faculty and while Georgetown can open a lot of doors, the doors can be difficult to discover because of the information gap.  In addition you are foregoing your chance to participate in OCI this summer.

I don't know what your career goals are but if you are aiming for a clerkship after graduation then you may find it difficult to procure even an interview as you may have a difficult time developing strong enough relationships with professors.

I personally refuse to make these sacrifices to join a part time program.  I withdrew from GULC part time and requested to be reconsidered for ft only and they granted this request.

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »
So what did everyone who was accepted to GULC P/T decide. I asked the school to consider me for full time and they did but could not offer me admission. As it stands right now it looks like I am going to GULC, what about everyone else?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:58 PM »
Some thoughts...

(1) GULC PT has worked to create basically an internal job market in and around DC of select positions that want to hire GULC PT students.  Many of these jobs pay $50k or more, meaning more than you might otherwise make after you graduate with a Tier 3 or Tier 4 law degree.

(2) Even assuming there is a "stigma" insofar as snobbery of certain full-time students, who cares?  If employers don't care, you shouldn't either.

(3) The PT choice affects your life for an extra year, whereas the GULC choice affects your professional life forever.

(4) PT at GULC is not an add-on created to appease working people.  It's the original point of the school, to educate the "men of the government," and the full-time program is the afterthought.

(5) Assuming no scholarship and no personal funding to pay for your own expenses in DC, PT is certainly the better option financially.

Just my tuppence.  I think there certainly should be a stigma attached to any 22-year-old who is not working at all and effectively gaming the system, but those who are working while keeping up the course load, journal and sometimes even a clinic should certainly be respected at least as much as any other GULC student.

I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
How is someone who is 22 and not working "gaming the system"? Georgetown law provides the option to be admitted part time, and there is zero requirement that anyone has to work. There is no system being gamed, maybe an easier workload but life is never an even playing field.

Some of us who are transfers wanted to be admitted full time and part time was the only way we were to be admitted, to say a stigma should be attached makes you sound like a megalomanic and quite frankly, a feminine hygiene product.

Some thoughts...

(1) GULC PT has worked to create basically an internal job market in and around DC of select positions that want to hire GULC PT students.  Many of these jobs pay $50k or more, meaning more than you might otherwise make after you graduate with a Tier 3 or Tier 4 law degree.

(2) Even assuming there is a "stigma" insofar as snobbery of certain full-time students, who cares?  If employers don't care, you shouldn't either.

(3) The PT choice affects your life for an extra year, whereas the GULC choice affects your professional life forever.

(4) PT at GULC is not an add-on created to appease working people.  It's the original point of the school, to educate the "men of the government," and the full-time program is the afterthought.

(5) Assuming no scholarship and no personal funding to pay for your own expenses in DC, PT is certainly the better option financially.

Just my tuppence.  I think there certainly should be a stigma attached to any 22-year-old who is not working at all and effectively gaming the system, but those who are working while keeping up the course load, journal and sometimes even a clinic should certainly be respected at least as much as any other GULC student.