Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will I regret accepting a position on Law Review?  (Read 1771 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Will I regret accepting a position on Law Review?
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
I know it's supposedly a good thing for my resume, but I have a really busy year ahead of me and I'm wondering if the benefits outweigh the costs?

Anyone have feelings about it?

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will I regret accepting a position on Law Review?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
Do it or you will regret it.  :-\

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
Do you mean not accepting an editorial position or just not accepting being a member? Either way, you will probably regret not accepting.  Benefits outweigh costs here.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 11:35:27 AM »
I already accepted a regular member position, and I was just asking whether I would regret accepting it.
I knew that I couldn't pass it up because I'd never know if it would be worth it, but now that I've accepted it I'm just curious as to whether anyone out there thinks it's more trouble/work than it's worth.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
I already accepted a regular member position, and I was just asking whether I would regret accepting it.
I knew that I couldn't pass it up because I'd never know if it would be worth it, but now that I've accepted it I'm just curious as to whether anyone out there thinks it's more trouble/work than it's worth.
It's totally more trouble than it's worth, but you would regret not doing it for sure.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »
It's worth it for the relationships you develop with other motivated, intelligent students and the fact that it looks great on your resume.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 12:44:09 PM »
I know it's supposedly a good thing for my resume, but I have a really busy year ahead of me and I'm wondering if the benefits outweigh the costs?

Anyone have feelings about it?

You will absoutely not regret accepting a position on Law Review.

It is a pain in the ass during 2L when you are a member/staff person, but outside of the obvious prestige element involved with it, as a practical matter, you actually do learn to sharpen your legal research, writing and citiation skills.  Those skills come in handy during the practice. Trust me.  I've been able to crank out briefs in hours that would have easily taken somebody unversed with those skills days.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
Is your 2L year going to be busier than the average 2L year?

The benefits will probably outweigh the costs.

TheReasonableMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »
If you are like me, you will likely regret being on Law Review every second and every minute of your 2L year. That being the case, you will also realize, after all of the pain and misery, that it was well worth it.  Law review makes you a better writer, researcher, and editor.  It's a huge time drain, but when it's all over you will have much sharper skills, some good resume items, and a leg up on those who didn't do it. 

ferbear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »
I respectfully disagree. Not doing law review and focusing on other activities in law school (some of which provided extensive practical writing experience) was a choice I'm very glad I made every day and one that I found hasn't limited me in any way.

That said, it was a huge gamble that might have shot me in the foot, and it's not one I'd recommend for everyone.
'10