Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USN&W Trial Advocacy Ratings  (Read 1764 times)

Joey_C

• View Profile
USN&W Trial Advocacy Ratings
« on: July 04, 2009, 02:38:23 AM »
Why are the top rated trial advocacy schools so low rated overall and vice versa why aren't the top rated schools overall also top in trial advocacy? This seems very strange.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/trial-advocacy

What does this ranking signify? Does someone know the law better after going to one of these schools? Is one of these schools considered better than some T14 in this field for job placement?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: USN&W Trial Advocacy Ratings
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Why are the top rated trial advocacy schools so low rated overall and vice versa why aren't the top rated schools overall also top in trial advocacy? This seems very strange.

Because it's crap.  Virtually no one who has the power to make hiring decision gives a damn about it or know about it. 

What does this ranking signify? Does someone know the law better after going to one of these schools? Is one of these schools considered better than some T14 in this field for job placement?

Is this a joke? 

Joey_C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:33:24 AM »

Is this a joke? 

No I know it sounds crazy. I was just making sure. There had to have been a reason why USN put that up. I just assumed this was as reliable/meaningful as the rest of their ratings.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »
Trial advocacy is something you really have to learn on the job. If you want to be a trial lawyer, your best bet is to work for a few years at a state prosecutor or public defender's office. You'll be in court almost every day and that's where you will learn trial ad.