Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Washburn vs. University of Nebraska  (Read 554 times)

Q1986

• View Profile
    • Email
Washburn vs. University of Nebraska
« on: July 03, 2009, 06:18:47 PM »
Facing a tough decision. I am originally from Nebraska and grew up a Huskers. Was accepted off of their waitlist and visited last weekend; they told me I would not be able to establish residency and would have to pay out of state tuition ($26,000) all three years.

Washburn got word of my UNL acceptance and called me the next day offering me a non-renewable $7500 grant (when they previously offered no scholarship). I don't want to live in Topeka but think it might be the reasonable decision ($16,000 tuition).

What would you suggest?

I am also still on the KU waitlist.

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Washburn vs. University of Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:14:08 PM »
It ultimately comes down to where you want to practice. Even if you get off the waitlist at KU, it does not appear that they place very well in Nebraksa. If you want to practice in Kansas, I think KU is obviously your first choice. I would caution taking on too much debt, but if you want to ultimately practice in Nebraska, Nebraska would be your better choice.

Nebraska may be your best bet anyway because you stated that you do not want to live in Topeka, and you do not want to be stuck living in a place you detest, especially during law school.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

Q1986

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
I will probably end up in KC at least to start my career.

I don't detest Topeka, it just isn't the best city to live in. It wouldn't keep me from deciding on Washburn.

If I get off the waitlist at KU it would seem dumb not to go but if that doesn't happen I am torn with these two.

lyre

• brightly burns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »
I know some people who go to Washburn and a lot of them live in Lawrence and commute to Topeka.  It's not TOO far, and since there seems to be a good number of students who do it you could probably get a carpool going pretty easily if you wanted to.  Also, if you are thinking of doing a summer job in KC, living in Lawrence would put you basically in the middle of the two cities instead of having to go all the way from Topeka to KC in the summer.  Also, keep in mind that you can be a bit more flexible with your schedule during 2&3L years... 1L you will likely have to have class every day, but in later years you can set up a schedule where you only go 3 days per week or something, so driving from Lawrence wouldn't be that bad.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:26:24 AM »
Probably Nebraska, but I think you'll do about equally well either way.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.