Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying for MPRE.  (Read 6172 times)

haulin_oats

• View Profile
    • Email
Studying for MPRE.
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
I'm taking the August exam. How do I study for this thing? I'm not signed up for BarBri so I don't get their "free" outline thing. Is there a standard study guide that I should use? How much time should I spend studying?

Advice from those who have passed the exam would be appreciated.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Studying for MPRE.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:20:21 PM »
Just buy the book and study.  I spent a total of probably 8 hours studying for it.  I read the conviser review in the front of the book, checking the detailed outline for areas I was unfamiliar with, then took 1/2 of a test, and went over my answers.  Passed with a 117.  The book is less than $30:

http://www.amazon.com/Barbri-Multistate-Professional-Responsibility-Examination/dp/0314160272

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »
You may want to just sign up for barbri.  You are probably going to have to take it anyway, so you might just want to suck it up and get it over with.  Its only like 150 or so for the deposit.

I took the barbri prep class (3-4 hours) then read through the barbri book and did some practice.  Spend a total of about 8-10 hours total (class and studying outside of class).  Ended up with a 117.  Definitely put in too much effort (30 points worth).  It is a pretty simple exam although I have friends that graduated top of the class (top 5% or so, law review, Vault firm, etc) that only passed by 1 point.  Doesnt hurt to over prepare but dont kill yourself either.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »
Yes.

Sign-up for barbri.  Get the book.  take the online tests/practice questions.  do this for two days and you're done.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:03 PM »
Yes.

Sign-up for barbri.  Get the book.  take the online tests/practice questions.  do this for two days and you're done.

18th'd.

I think you only have to pay the deposit to get the MPRE stuff, which isn't huge. I could be wrong about that.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
Yeah.  Deposit is something like $250.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:27:50 AM »
I'm taking the August exam. How do I study for this thing? I'm not signed up for BarBri so I don't get their "free" outline thing. Is there a standard study guide that I should use? How much time should I spend studying?

Take as many practice tests as possible.  The MPRE isn't even about ethics. It's about the MPRE exam, co-starring ethics.  Best way to learn all the tricks it throws at you is to just take as many practice MPRE's as possible.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »

This exam is not as easy as people said it is.  Prepare for it. 

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:55:45 AM »

I think our point was that it doesn't require two weeks of solid studying.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 01:12:33 AM »

We finally agree on something.   ;)

This exam is a piece of work.  It is true that you only need to study for a couple of days for it, but you have to study the test, not the ethics rules.

Most people guess their way through it by chance on the first time, thus most people you ask who have passed won't be able to tell you how they passed it because they honstly don't know.  You need to ask people who have failed it and then passed it to fully understand what it takes.  Same advice applies to the bar exam BTW.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston