Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to write about as an URM  (Read 1355 times)

BerkeleyNoctambulist

• View Profile
What to write about as an URM
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »
Duly Noted
When you are drowsy, your competitors study hard.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What to write about as an URM
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
1. OP = Original poster. The guy who got us in this mess in the first place. In this particular thread, that's you. HTH = Hope That Helps. Usually used when being condescending and very rarely meant to indicate an actual desire to help you.

2. The PS is the main writing sample, but a good number of schools will let you include a diversity statement or ask you to write about something else.

3-5. Just write about whatever and make it sound good. Look and see if most of the schools you're applying to can be covered with just one or two topics. You can usually get a few people around here to take a look at drafts for you.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »

Welcome to the board.

In the interest of being able to sit for the bar exam, you might want to gloss over the whole drug dealing part.  Other than that, sounds like you have a good story to tell to the adcoms.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:33:10 AM »
Well the drug dealing is what it is; he won't be able to hide it if he was arrested for it.  And I think that's probably the most unique thing about him.  The ideal PS would probably start at some vivid drug-dealing/gang-banging low point, then move progressively upward to working for the legislature and being a father while in school, weaving in various difficulties overcome along the way.  All under 2 pages, of course.  Lots of imagery and such.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 12:10:34 PM »
Well the drug dealing is what it is; he won't be able to hide it if he was arrested for it.  And I think that's probably the most unique thing about him.  The ideal PS would probably start at some vivid drug-dealing/gang-banging low point, then move progressively upward to working for the legislature and being a father while in school, weaving in various difficulties overcome along the way.  All under 2 pages, of course.  Lots of imagery and such.

Good point.  However, do you think he should still include that if there is no record of it? 
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 09:17:06 PM »
Yeah if there's no record of it, probably not. And if that's the case, he should also probably delete all of this identifying info...

That said, he can allude to being in a gang without mentioning any illegal activity.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »
True that.

I think that's pretty solid advice. Should make for one helluva personal statement.  Plus w/o a rap sheet the Bar will be happy to pass him on through.
Charles H. Houston

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
Dude, leave out the drug dealing.

Even if you weren't arrested for it, you still don't want the White people on the Admissions Committee associating drug dealing with a black man.

Talk about your family your time at the legislature.

Save your tales of trappin' until AFTER you've received your Bar License.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09