Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.1/164 GPA any scholarship hopes?  (Read 2485 times)

jtgain

• View Profile
    • Email
3.1/164 GPA any scholarship hopes?
« on: July 01, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »
I'm looking at UMiami, Florida International.  I also might go north to West Virginia University, Duquesne, or Pitt. Any hope of scholarships at these schools?

swc5018

• View Profile
Re: 3.1/164 GPA any scholarship hopes?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »
I got a scholarship offer from Pitt for 1/2 tuition with a 3.3/160, so it's certainly worth applying.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
Probably. Your LSAT is more important when it comes to getting scholarships, and I'd imagine all of those schools will pay for a 164. Check out lsn for an idea of what you could expect.

I'd also add some higher up schools for good measure.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 02:23:16 PM »
Yeah, I think the key for scholarships is to be in the top 75% of a school's LSAT/GPA range, right?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »
Yeah, I think the key for scholarships is to be in the top 75% of a school's LSAT/GPA range, right?

That seems to be a guarantee. But I've also seen people with low GPAs get paid if they had an LSAT in the 75%+ range.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »

That seems to be a guarantee. But I've also seen people with low GPAs get paid if they had an LSAT in the 75%+ range.

Yeah, true.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

jtgain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 05:04:41 PM »

Yes, and this is the reason why I ask.  Looking at West Virginia University, for example, a 164 is well above the 75 percentile.  The 75th for WVU is 155; I am almost a full ten points higher.  However, my 3.1 GPA is in the 25th percentile.  Not very impressive.  I was curious as to how a school would view a split like this.

Also, I just started back to school after a 10 year absence.  My GPA was 2.6 when I started back a year and a half ago.  Since then I am at 3.95.  Do schools look at this favorably or is it simply a numbers game? Thanks.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 07:24:06 PM »

Yes, and this is the reason why I ask.  Looking at West Virginia University, for example, a 164 is well above the 75 percentile.  The 75th for WVU is 155; I am almost a full ten points higher.  However, my 3.1 GPA is in the 25th percentile.  Not very impressive.  I was curious as to how a school would view a split like this.

Also, I just started back to school after a 10 year absence.  My GPA was 2.6 when I started back a year and a half ago.  Since then I am at 3.95.  Do schools look at this favorably or is it simply a numbers game? Thanks.

That's a high enough LSAT to put you in the money range at a lot of places, but I think West Virginia doesn't give out much cash. Still, worth a shot.

Write a GPA addendum explaining the GPA, it will probably help at least a little.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 01:25:33 AM »
I'm looking at UMiami, Florida International.  I also might go north to West Virginia University, Duquesne, or Pitt. Any hope of scholarships at these schools?

You should throw in FSU and Stetson (hopeing for scholarship) if you want to stay in Florida.

How about GSU? 

jtgain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:16:20 PM »

You should throw in FSU and Stetson (hopeing for scholarship) if you want to stay in Florida.

How about GSU? 

I am in South Florida, so FSU, Stetson, and certainly GSU would require a move.  The only reason I would consider West Virginia is because I have family up there.

What about Miami or FIU?  Any guesses as to the money I might receive at those two with my numbers?  Also WVU is tight with money?  Is there a web site or some other place I could go to get a general idea of scholarship money I might get at particular schools?