Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Professor without an "academic affiliation"  (Read 1154 times)

RoadtoNowhere

• View Profile
Professor without an "academic affiliation"
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:10:37 AM »
Hi all!

I've been having a hard time lining up letters of recommendations -  I did get good grades, but I just didn't make very close connections while in school (huge school). To top it off, I graduated three years ago, which doesn't help.

One of the professors whom I requested a letter from said she would be happy to do so, but raised the issue that she is currently transitioning to another field. She's been on leave the past two years, and now will be starting a new career as a non professor. She wanted to let me know in case schools look down on recommendations from professors without a current academic affiliation.

So - what should I do? Should I still ask her to write it, since I feel that she knows me better than the next person I'd ask to replace her? Or will schools look poorly upon letters from former professors? I will be applying to t-14.

Thanks for any advice.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Professor without an "academic affiliation"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:08:38 PM »
Have her write it.  Even if she's not currently a professor, she knows you in an academic context which is really what the schools are seeking from LORs.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French