Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ex-cons in law school  (Read 1418 times)

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ex-cons in law school
« on: July 01, 2009, 02:00:22 AM »
I was watching the begining of "Judge Mathis" and in the opening scenes it says that he went from jail to judge in less than 10 years. Do you think that is true or just a show trying to inrease ratings? If so does anyone know what his conviction was for? It must have been a misdomenor or expunged since I doubt they let felons get licensed and become a judge.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ex-cons in law school
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:15:37 PM »
While I appreciate those links they dont tell me anything that I didnt already know. They dont say what he was convicted for while in wayne county jail or if it was ever sealed.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:32:48 PM »
Thanks. I read the link. While it says the weapon and purse snatching charges were under 18 it dosnt say if they were sealed, but I am assuming that they must have been to get into law school.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
What I want to know is why he got into law school and was then denied a license to practice for several years because of his criminal history.  Do law schools really admit someone who they know will almost certainly be denied a license?   

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
What I want to know is why he got into law school and was then denied a license to practice for several years because of his criminal history.  Do law schools really admit someone who they know will almost certainly be denied a license?   

The problem is law schools don't know for certian if you will or will not be lic. to pratice. That's up to the baord of law examiners and is on a case by case basis that looks to how long ago it was, what it was, if you have been good since, ect. So there is not way a law school could really know before hand what the baord of exminers will do in your case. (As well you might f-up in law school and do something that keeps you out). As well usually when the bar deny's you its not forever, alot of times its OK keep being a good boy and come back in a year and we will look at your file again. There is an ASU grad who did like 15 years for murder during a drug deal, did his time, went to ASU law, got his degree, but last I heard they had not let him pratice yet, but had no told him no forever either.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.