Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Associates degree to start the JD  (Read 4896 times)

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Associates degree to start the JD
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »
As far as I know Cooley is the only ABA approved law school that lets you start with only an associates degree(even though michigan and california law both allow it)

A friend of mine wants to apply to cooley with only an associates, but wants to get a bachelors degree too. I know that cooley has joint degrees with western for masters. Does cooley offer bachelors to grads of the JD who start with only an assoicates or do they have arrangments with western?

jerseyexpatriate

• Sanctioned for your sins
    • View Profile
    • twitter
Re: Associates degree to start the JD
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 10:47:51 AM »
As far as I know Cooley does not offer such a program.  It might be something they'd look into, especially with the Ann Arbor campus so close to UMichigan.
"If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for the law. It invites every man to become a law unto himself. It invites anarchy." -- Louis Brandeis

lawrookie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:43 PM »
I didn't believe it at first also, but I looked into it. They do let you in with only an Associates degree(60 credits), or even no degree at all(if you have 90 credits). I dont know if any states other than Michigan and California would let you sit their bars with it as your prelaw though.

http://www.cooley.edu/admissions/admw_outba.htm

What else is kinda nuts is they found a loophole where even though state law requires at least 3 years of study to get your degree, they let you get it in only 2 years and still sit the bar(since they count summers as an extra year)

htpp://www.cooley.edu/academics/ft24schedule.htm

As far as I know Cooley does not offer such a program.  It might be something they'd look into, especially with the Ann Arbor campus so close to UMichigan.

vansondon

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:49:57 PM »
I know that both Loyola University New Orleans and Tulane University in Louisiana allow students without a Bachelor's degree, provided they have 90 credits, to enroll in law school.

lawrookie

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 02:25:55 AM »
I guess its more common with the 90credit sitution than I though. How many other than Cooley(which are ABA approved) let you start with only 60 credits though?