Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPA on my resume  (Read 5710 times)

Whaaa?

• View Profile
GPA on my resume
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:55:15 PM »
So I go to T20 law school, but don't have the best GPA.  I'm right around the 50th percentile (maybe a little below, but not much).  I'm on law review and have a pretty good internship right now.  Should I include my GPA on my resume?  On the one hand, it doesn't look very good.  On the other hand, maybe they'll just assume that it's even worse since I didn't include it.  Any experience with doing this?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: GPA on my resume
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »
Above 3.0? Include.  But don't list your rank.

Rightwinger65

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 03:54:55 AM »
My gpa is 7.97/12 and rank 71/174. Should I include my gpa, rank, both, or neither. I'm on a Law Review and have a good internship.

scgl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 07:31:32 AM »
Normally your career services office will tell you when it is to your advantage to include your GPA (with employers who are familiar with your school anyway). I would agree that it is usually good to indicate GPA when it is over 3.0 and rank when it is above the median but ask career services since they will know what has worked well for people from your school in the past.
Whaa, the median at a top 20 is usually over 3 so you should definitely include it if yours is since you are correct to assume employers will think it is lower if left off. If you are slightly below the median but have over a 3.0, I'd put the GPA on and leave the rank off.

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:52:31 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but do any top 20 law school rank their students?