Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: lazy professors  (Read 1013 times)

UnbelievablyTired

• View Profile
    • Email
lazy professors
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »
So great when one of your professors decides he/she doesn't have to turn in grades on time.  Or within a month of the deadline.  Don't worry, we don't need our rankings.  We don't need our law review results.  The world is yours. 

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: lazy professors
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »
I dont start my JD untill january but I saw a lot of that same idea in undergrad. Would you say the teachers are better or worse than undergrad once you start lawschool?

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:51 PM »
I don't think they are better or worse.  I just find them to be very different from my experience.  I was pretty conversational with my undergrad profs, but for the most part I avoided ls profs like the plague.  Most of them are very socially awkward people, I found.  Get to know your legal writing prof and 1 substantive prof if it kills you since having 1 who could write a letter for you for transfer/job/whatever is very important and none of your classmates will really expend time on that front.   
Proving there is redemption in this world...

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 10:51:58 PM »
Thanks for the information. I was army for awhile and auxillery now(enlisted) but I am curious since I saw your name is armyjag. Are you active,guard,reserve,auxillery? How long you been in? Did you start out enlisted or just sign up as an officer? I wish I had done the officer thing. I probally will in the future.

I don't think they are better or worse.  I just find them to be very different from my experience.  I was pretty conversational with my undergrad profs, but for the most part I avoided ls profs like the plague.  Most of them are very socially awkward people, I found.  Get to know your legal writing prof and 1 substantive prof if it kills you since having 1 who could write a letter for you for transfer/job/whatever is very important and none of your classmates will really expend time on that front.   

UnbelievablyTired

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 11:31:25 PM »
Most are better, some are worse :/.  The aura of self-importance, however, is exponentially higher.  The world quite literally revolves around each of them, which seems like it would be rather difficult for the world to manage. 

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:28:04 AM »
Which university are you at? Do you think all are that way or just some campuses?

To teach law do you only have to have a JD or do they normally have the post JD masters and doctor of law degrees?
In theory couldn't some of the electives teaches legally only have a bachelors or masters degree if it was in the area that they were teaching?

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:43:34 AM »
Most adjuncts only have JDs. It seems to me that the majority of the tenured professors either have LLMs or the Doctor of Law; or they have a JD and a doctorate in some other field (economics, is a common one.) However, that is not universally true- several profs have only JDs.

new2law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 01:51:16 AM »
So in theory if in 2013 I cant find work I can always become a teach at a calbar school?  :D

Most adjuncts only have JDs. It seems to me that the majority of the tenured professors either have LLMs or the Doctor of Law; or they have a JD and a doctorate in some other field (economics, is a common one.) However, that is not universally true- several profs have only JDs.