Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Year Law Classes  (Read 3777 times)

Jessica3303

• View Profile
First Year Law Classes
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:03:41 PM »
Generally speaking, what are the typical 1L classes? Do you get to pick whatever classes you want to take, or is there a general subject path you have to take?

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: First Year Law Classes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:55:23 AM »
Copied directly from the UK Law website

Fall Semester

LAW 801 CONTRACTS/SALES I (3 hours)
Formation of contracts; offer, acceptance, consideration. Statute of Frauds, parol evidence rule. Sale of goods under Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.

LAW 804 Legal Research and Writing Skills (3 hours)
Use of research materials, legal writing, the fundamentals of legal analysis, and the solution of selected legal problems.

LAW 805 TORTS (4 hours)
Intentional torts and defenses, and the basic elements of negligence law, including duty and standard of care, causation in fact and proximate cause. Strict liability and products liability, as well as other select issues of tort law.

LAW 810 CRIMINAL LAW (3 hours)
The criminal act, complete and incomplete; criminal intent, actual and constructive; duress and mistake of fact, of law; justification; parties in crime; crimes against the person and crimes against property.

LAW 815 CIVIL PROCEDURE I (3 hours)
Introduction to the civil action; personal and in rem jurisdiction; service of process and notice; subject matter jurisdiction; venue; choice of law; pleading.

Spring Semester

LAW 802 CONTRACTS/SALES II (3 hours)
Sale of goods under Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Performance, express and implied conditions, repudiation, impossibility.

LAW 807 PROPERTY (4 hours)
Rights in personal and real property, gifts, estates, landlord-tenant law, land transfers, land contracts, covenants, recording acts, easements and real covenants.

LAW 817 CIVIL PROCEDURE II (3 hours)
Joinder of claims and parties; discovery, summary judgment; right to jury trial; trials and posttrial motions; res judicata and collateral estoppel.

LAW 820 CONSTITUTIONAL LAW I (3 hours)
Judicial interpretation of the constitution; the federal system; powers of the national government; limitations on the exercise of state powers; separation of powers.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:19:47 AM »
Copied directly from the UK Law website

Fall Semester

LAW 801 CONTRACTS/SALES I (3 hours)
Formation of contracts; offer, acceptance, consideration. Statute of Frauds, parol evidence rule. Sale of goods under Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.

LAW 804 Legal Research and Writing Skills (3 hours)
Use of research materials, legal writing, the fundamentals of legal analysis, and the solution of selected legal problems.

LAW 805 TORTS (4 hours)
Intentional torts and defenses, and the basic elements of negligence law, including duty and standard of care, causation in fact and proximate cause. Strict liability and products liability, as well as other select issues of tort law.

LAW 810 CRIMINAL LAW (3 hours)
The criminal act, complete and incomplete; criminal intent, actual and constructive; duress and mistake of fact, of law; justification; parties in crime; crimes against the person and crimes against property.

LAW 815 CIVIL PROCEDURE I (3 hours)
Introduction to the civil action; personal and in rem jurisdiction; service of process and notice; subject matter jurisdiction; venue; choice of law; pleading.

Spring Semester

LAW 802 CONTRACTS/SALES II (3 hours)
Sale of goods under Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Performance, express and implied conditions, repudiation, impossibility.

LAW 807 PROPERTY (4 hours)
Rights in personal and real property, gifts, estates, landlord-tenant law, land transfers, land contracts, covenants, recording acts, easements and real covenants.

LAW 817 CIVIL PROCEDURE II (3 hours)
Joinder of claims and parties; discovery, summary judgment; right to jury trial; trials and posttrial motions; res judicata and collateral estoppel.

LAW 820 CONSTITUTIONAL LAW I (3 hours)
Judicial interpretation of the constitution; the federal system; powers of the national government; limitations on the exercise of state powers; separation of powers.

this is pretty standard. under the quarter system you get one elective in the spring here, but two quarters of civ pro, contracts, torts, property, and criminal law.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »
Generally speaking, what are the typical 1L classes? Do you get to pick whatever classes you want to take, or is there a general subject path you have to take?

Most law schools (I believe ALL law schools) decide for you what classes you take in your first semester.  Others map out your entire first year.  You will likely take the following in your first year:

Contracts I
Contracts II
Property
Torts
Lawyering Skills (legal writing) I and II
Civil Procedure I
Criminal Law
Constitutional Law I

Your second year will require you to take:

Civil Procedure II
Constitutional Law II
Evidence
Lawyering Skills (Drafting or something more technical depending on your school)

The remainder of law school will be, quite literally, up to you and what you wish to focus on.  Electives tend to dominate the last half of your legal education, allowing you to study the courses you are most interested in and that you desire to specialize in.

Most law students enjoy law school more during the second half of their legal education because it isn't so dogmatic and rigid.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
At CLS, we only have required classes during first year.  They are: Civ Pro, Contracts, Con Law, Criminal Law, Property, and Torts.

However, it seems that you are sort of expected to take corporations, tax, administrative law, and evidence at some point during law school.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

WeAre138

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:32:31 AM »
My school is apparently trying to switch things up inre: the first year curriculum. Essentially, I will take Torts, Criminal Law, Civ Pro and legal writing/research first semester; Contracts, property, con law, elective and LWR second semester. I am thinking this might be beneficial in the way of less exams but tough in the sense of more material to cover in a quicker time. Any thoughts on one semester course difficulty vs courses that span the entire first year?

I am thankful for them not throwing 5 classes at me right away!
Villanova Class of 2012

Pretty Legal

• 1L Fall 09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 04:21:03 PM »
I will be a 1L this fall and this rigid course load seems a bit overwhelming for me. I really feel completely clueless on this new journey. Anyone have any good advice?
"Don't look down upon someone unless you are reaching down to pull them up"

EdinTally

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
I will be a 1L this fall and this rigid course load seems a bit overwhelming for me. I really feel completely clueless on this new journey. Anyone have any good advice?
You are probably no more or no less "clueless" than the rest of us.

Advice: Breathe   ;)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 01:51:02 PM »

First of all, relax.  It is overwhelming for most 1L's.
You are clueless (like every other soon to be law student is, whether they admit it or not).
The rigid course load is designed that way for a reason.  Taking basic law classes is a great way to teach you how to think about the law.  It also lays the foundation for the more advanced classes where an understanding of the basic legal concepts of tort law, contract law, criminal law, etc. will form the basis.
Don't worry - you'll feel clueless at least until you've completed your first semester if not longer. Try to enjoy the process.