Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Future Steps  (Read 581 times)

BerkeleyNoctambulist

• View Profile
Future Steps
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:17:56 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and was hesitant to post my info on the net, but I see that many others have benefited from this site so I thought I would give it a shot.

Seeking any worthwhile advice that will assist me in getting into the T14.

About me;

I'm a 29 y/o AA male.
A Junior at UC Berkeley, with a Major in Sociology.
My current UC gpa is 3.25 & I need 36 more units before graduation, however I do not plan on graduating until Sp' 2011. (Due to Reduced Course Loads; I have 3 children under the age of 7)

I have nearly a decade of work experience with the CA state legislature; (more like 8.5 yrs in 3 significant depts.) I have no problem obtaining at least 2 Excellent Letters of Rec. from work and perhaps 1, maybe 2 from school.

As far as the LSAT goes, I have only taken the free October 1996 test (which was not timed) and that was about 2 years ago. I did horrible and scored a 148. I've looked over a few tests since then, but nothing too serious...

Any worthwhile advice would be greatly appreciated!
When you are drowsy, your competitors study hard.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Future Steps
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:27:43 AM »
Welcome to the board.  The LSAT, as usual, is key...along with improving your GPA.  With 3 young kids, I'd recommend taking an LSAT prep course (Testmasters or Powerscore) in order to provide externally imposed discipline and a financial incentive to study hard.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Future Steps
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and was hesitant to post my info on the net, but I see that many others have benefited from this site so I thought I would give it a shot.

Seeking any worthwhile advice that will assist me in getting into the T14.

About me;

I'm a 29 y/o AA male.
A Junior at UC Berkeley, with a Major in Sociology.
My current UC gpa is 3.25 & I need 36 more units before graduation, however I do not plan on graduating until Sp' 2011. (Due to Reduced Course Loads; I have 3 children under the age of 7)

I have nearly a decade of work experience with the CA state legislature; (more like 8.5 yrs in 3 significant depts.) I have no problem obtaining at least 2 Excellent Letters of Rec. from work and perhaps 1, maybe 2 from school.

As far as the LSAT goes, I have only taken the free October 1996 test (which was not timed) and that was about 2 years ago. I did horrible and scored a 148. I've looked over a few tests since then, but nothing too serious...

Any worthwhile advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the board.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston