Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Interviews--need resume tips for law firms  (Read 1053 times)

exgratia

• View Profile
Interviews--need resume tips for law firms
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
I'm about to try to get a job through OCI. Presently, my resume is two pages long. For sections, I have objective, work experience, education, community service, languages, and hobbies. It runs about 1.5 pages. Must I limit it to one page? Also, if my law school GPA is significantly stronger than my undergrad GPA, is it OK to leave undergrad GPA off? Finally, what things generally are good to include in a resume for a law firm? Thanks for the tips.

anxiety

• View Profile
Re: Interviews--need resume tips for law firms
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »
I'm about to try to get a job through OCI. Presently, my resume is four pages long. For sections, I have objective, work experience, education, community service, languages, and hobbies. It runs about 1.5 pages. Must I limit it to one page? Also, if my law school GPA is significantly stronger than my undergrad GPA, is it OK to leave undergrad GPA off? Finally, what things generally are good to include in a resume for a law firm? Thanks for the tips.

Flame?  Unless you're a doctor, rocket scientist, Nobel Peace Prize recipient, and the curer of both cancer and AIDS, there is absolutely no reason for your resume to be 4 pages long.  It's supposed to be 1 page, 2 pages at a MAXIMUM.
Disgruntled 3L

rene_descartes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »
To be fair, you should only put down the stuff that are relevant to the job(s) you are applying for. For example, I have done a lot of work that has absolutely nothing to do with the field of law I am going into, and I really don't think employers would give a damn whether or not you were a published author in some home and garden magazine.  You should tailor your resume to the type of work you are interested in.
I agree a resume should never exceed 2 pages unless you have strong scientific publications in prestigious journals. 

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:34:43 PM »
I'm also wondering how your resume is 4 pages long. Is that the resume you submitted with law school applications? What school do you go to anyway?

I would also add that you should take off the 'objective' part. Just take it off completely. Employers at OCI know your objective-getting a law job.

Naked Promise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »
Also, go delete your other post. You double posted this (hopefully on accident).

exgratia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
I meant to say two pages. Sorry.

exgratia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
Should I put my undergrad GPA on my law school resume when (1) it is not that good (3.4) and (2) my law school GPA/class rank is much higher?