Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: With a 149 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA, what schools can I reasonably expect.  (Read 9865 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: With a 149 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA, what schools can I reasonably expect.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 02:29:31 PM »
I scored a 149 for the first time on the June 2009 LSAT.  Becauze I am pretty disappointed with my score, I am planning to take it again. 

My undergraduate GPA is 3.5 cumulative.  I have a degree in Psychology, with a minor in English and concentrations in Chemistry and Biology. 

I have been active in my fraternity with numerous positions held over the last four years on our Executive Council, and I have also served as a member of the Inter-fraternal Council.  Furthermore, I was an Orientation Student Leader and a Student Leader Liason.  I also served as a Supreme Court Justice for SGA and am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society.  I have been involved with grassroots campaigning with the Louisiana Republican Party.  I am hoping that my extracurricular involvement will be of benefit in the application process. 

I am pursuing a Master's degree in English next year, and hoping to enter law school in the Fall of 2010.  Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. 

The main schools to which I am applying are LSU, Tulane, Loyola New Orleans, Ole Miss, and SMU. 

Correlation?? lol, just kidding.If I were you -- being from the Detroit area myself, would apply to UDM.
Hell they might even offer you a partial scholarship because your GPA is above their 75th percentile. UDM has also taken a big leap in recognition, and has always been good for placement in Detroit (a secondary market). UDM's reputation also is solid within the region. Wayne Law will place above you, but just work hard in class; the top law students from UDM are equal to the top law students at Wayne. I'm applying to UM next cycle too, and unlike 90% of their grads I'll stay in MI. That is however contingent if I get into Harvard or not.

Do not go to Detroit Mercy.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 04:48:16 AM »

Correlation?? lol, just kidding.If I were you -- being from the Detroit area myself, would apply to UDM.
Hell they might even offer you a partial scholarship because your GPA is above their 75th percentile. UDM has also taken a big leap in recognition, and has always been good for placement in Detroit (a secondary market). UDM's reputation also is solid within the region. Wayne Law will place above you, but just work hard in class; the top law students from UDM are equal to the top law students at Wayne. I'm applying to UM next cycle too, and unlike 90% of their grads I'll stay in MI. That is however contingent if I get into Harvard or not.
[/quote]

But it's also important to remember that detroit is detroit.
[/quote]

I don't see anything wrong with Detroit. I grew up in the nicer suburbs adjacent to Det. but I've also lived in Gainesville, FL and vacationed extensively in Costa Mesa, CA. You DON'T have to live IN Detroit, I'd recommend Troy, Grosse Point, or Bloomfield Hills (all of which are rated some of the most affluent areas in the U.S). If you were concerned about the economy... It's getting better from what I've heard from friends and family. The legal market isn't falling apart completely and I'd anticipate a full rebound by the time his schooling would be over. As for UDM, I'm not saying its an amazing school - but it's a viable option if he doesn't re-take the LSAT. From what I've heard the reputation has been strong, but I could be ill informed... I'm not sure if you're from MI, most likely yes, but what have you heard Ninja1?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with Detroit. I grew up in the nicer suburbs adjacent to Det. but I've also lived in Gainesville, FL and vacationed extensively in Costa Mesa, CA. You DON'T have to live IN Detroit, I'd recommend Troy, Grosse Point, or Bloomfield Hills (all of which are rated some of the most affluent areas in the U.S). If you were concerned about the economy... It's getting better from what I've heard from friends and family. The legal market isn't falling apart completely and I'd anticipate a full rebound by the time his schooling would be over. As for UDM, I'm not saying its an amazing school - but it's a viable option if he doesn't re-take the LSAT. From what I've heard the reputation has been strong, but I could be ill informed... I'm not sure if you're from MI, most likely yes, but what have you heard Ninja1?

Are you really going to Harvard?

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 05:10:48 AM »

Are you really going to Harvard?

Hopefully. I'm still young and I don't intend to apply until next year probably. However, I don't like people knocking a school my sister, grandpa, uncles, and father all attended. UDM isn't that bad; my sister went to undergrad/dental school there and is doing great. The law school isn't top ranked (or even close for that matter), but for this OP it should be an option. Also, just because I strive to go to Harvard and have good numbers - doesn't mean I'm an elitist and look down upon a school that has been good to my family.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »

Hopefully. I'm still young and I don't intend to apply until next year probably. However, I don't like people knocking a school my sister, grandpa, uncles, and father all attended. UDM isn't that bad; my sister went to undergrad/dental school there and is doing great. The law school isn't top ranked (or even close for that matter), but for this OP it should be an option. Also, just because I strive to go to Harvard and have good numbers - doesn't mean I'm an elitist and look down upon a school that has been good to my family.

So, why don't you get and take a full scholarship and go there.   ::)

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 12:42:50 AM »
1. Because it wasn't my goal.
2. It's a good regional school but only because UM grads traditionally leave the state, and not many graduates come to MI. I would be an exception.
3. Wayne and UDM are close for Detroit's "law market feeder school" award. Look up Dykema & Gossett and check where their attorneys went to school. MSU usually places in Grand Rapids, and Lansing; Cooley isn't worth mentioning. ;D
4. I stand by my suggestion as UDM being a good school for MI, however I'm not naive I know other schools trump it.

Why are you so bitter towards the school?

--I'm just curious you might know something about their law school I don't; most of my family went to undergrad and other gradute school programs there.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 02:38:23 AM »
The Michigan Legal Education Spectrum:

Michigan
The Rest
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.