Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: With a 149 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA, what schools can I reasonably expect.  (Read 9806 times)

audi20V

• View Profile
OP, I recommend that you attempt to find employment rather than undertaking the MS in English. The MS in English is a waste of time and money, and you certainly don't need it for law school, nor will it help you to get admitted, nor will it help you in employment prospects. The only thing it will do is let you stay in college for another year, which I suppose isn't a terrible thing (as long as you aren't paying the bills). Industry work experience will benefit you in many more relevant ways, however. The best thing you can do now is spend a few months with Kaplan's LSAT 180 and practice tests until you can get your score 15 points higher.

audi20V

• View Profile
I'm getting my Master's because I don't want to get a real job, and didn't feel like buckling down and trying my hardest to get a high LSAT. 

Ok, I didn't read this first. At least you're honest. However, getting a real job is in your best interests now. College is done. Don't be one of those people who refuse to move on with their lives, or worse yet, one of those who treat law school like college part 2.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
OP, if your family has a firm that will hire you, why not just apply to a T3/4 school that gives you the most money and you have the least chance of failing out of (the last part is important as some schools have forced attrition rates)?

awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
OP, if your family has a firm that will hire you, why not just apply to a T3/4 school that gives you the most money and you have the least chance of failing out of (the last part is important as some schools have forced attrition rates)?

Hence why LSU or Ole Miss sound really good if he can get either. Loyola still has a few washouts each year. Meanwhile, he'd have to really @#!* up to get punted from the SEC. And they're both dirt cheap with much better street cred.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I have been active in my fraternity with numerous positions held over the last four years on our Executive Council, and I have also served as a member of the Inter-fraternal Council.  Furthermore, I was an Orientation Student Leader and a Student Leader Liason.  I also served as a Supreme Court Justice for SGA and am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society.  I have been involved with grassroots campaigning with the Louisiana Republican Party.  I am hoping that my extracurricular involvement will be of benefit in the application process. 

I am pursuing a Master's degree in English next year, and hoping to enter law school in the Fall of 2010.  Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. 

The main schools to which I am applying are LSU, Tulane, Loyola New Orleans, Ole Miss, and SMU. 

I can almost safely say that 2 points extra on your LSAT will trump all the crap you've listed above. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email

I have been active in my fraternity with numerous positions held over the last four years on our Executive Council, and I have also served as a member of the Inter-fraternal Council.  Furthermore, I was an Orientation Student Leader and a Student Leader Liason.  I also served as a Supreme Court Justice for SGA and am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society.  I have been involved with grassroots campaigning with the Louisiana Republican Party.  I am hoping that my extracurricular involvement will be of benefit in the application process. 

I am pursuing a Master's degree in English next year, and hoping to enter law school in the Fall of 2010.  Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. 

The main schools to which I am applying are LSU, Tulane, Loyola New Orleans, Ole Miss, and SMU. 

I can almost safely say that 2 points extra on your LSAT will trump all the crap you've listed above. 

This is right.

snw010

• View Profile
Re: With a 149 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA, what schools can I reasonably expect.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 02:06:02 AM »
I'm thinking about taking a Kaplan review course, but I really don't want to.  I haven't applied anywhere yet.  Should I wait until the next LSAT?  Any advice?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »
I'm thinking about taking a Kaplan review course, but I really don't want to.  I haven't applied anywhere yet.  Should I wait until the next LSAT?  Any advice?

Are you already taking the LSAT in a few weeks?

HopefullyHarvard2011

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
I scored a 149 for the first time on the June 2009 LSAT.  Becauze I am pretty disappointed with my score, I am planning to take it again. 

My undergraduate GPA is 3.5 cumulative.  I have a degree in Psychology, with a minor in English and concentrations in Chemistry and Biology. 

Correlation?? lol, just kidding.If I were you -- being from the Detroit area myself, would apply to UDM.
Hell they might even offer you a partial scholarship because your GPA is above their 75th percentile. UDM has also taken a big leap in recognition, and has always been good for placement in Detroit (a secondary market). UDM's reputation also is solid within the region. Wayne Law will place above you, but just work hard in class; the top law students from UDM are equal to the top law students at Wayne. I'm applying to UM next cycle too, and unlike 90% of their grads I'll stay in MI. That is however contingent if I get into Harvard or not.

merde

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 10:19:06 PM »

[/quote]

Correlation?? lol, just kidding.If I were you -- being from the Detroit area myself, would apply to UDM.
Hell they might even offer you a partial scholarship because your GPA is above their 75th percentile. UDM has also taken a big leap in recognition, and has always been good for placement in Detroit (a secondary market). UDM's reputation also is solid within the region. Wayne Law will place above you, but just work hard in class; the top law students from UDM are equal to the top law students at Wayne. I'm applying to UM next cycle too, and unlike 90% of their grads I'll stay in MI. That is however contingent if I get into Harvard or not.
[/quote]

But it's also important to remember that detroit is detroit.