Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: With a 149 LSAT and a 3.5 GPA, what schools can I reasonably expect.  (Read 9414 times)

snw010

• View Profile
I scored a 149 for the first time on the June 2009 LSAT.  Becauze I am pretty disappointed with my score, I am planning to take it again. 

My undergraduate GPA is 3.5 cumulative.  I have a degree in Psychology, with a minor in English and concentrations in Chemistry and Biology. 

I have been active in my fraternity with numerous positions held over the last four years on our Executive Council, and I have also served as a member of the Inter-fraternal Council.  Furthermore, I was an Orientation Student Leader and a Student Leader Liason.  I also served as a Supreme Court Justice for SGA and am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society.  I have been involved with grassroots campaigning with the Louisiana Republican Party.  I am hoping that my extracurricular involvement will be of benefit in the application process. 

I am pursuing a Master's degree in English next year, and hoping to enter law school in the Fall of 2010.  Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. 

The main schools to which I am applying are LSU, Tulane, Loyola New Orleans, Ole Miss, and SMU. 

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
I scored a 149 for the first time on the June 2009 LSAT.  Becauze I am pretty disappointed with my score, I am planning to take it again. 

My undergraduate GPA is 3.5 cumulative.  I have a degree in Psychology, with a minor in English and concentrations in Chemistry and Biology. 

I have been active in my fraternity with numerous positions held over the last four years on our Executive Council, and I have also served as a member of the Inter-fraternal Council.  Furthermore, I was an Orientation Student Leader and a Student Leader Liason.  I also served as a Supreme Court Justice for SGA and am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society.  I have been involved with grassroots campaigning with the Louisiana Republican Party.  I am hoping that my extracurricular involvement will be of benefit in the application process. 

I am pursuing a Master's degree in English next year, and hoping to enter law school in the Fall of 2010.  Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter. 

The main schools to which I am applying are LSU, Tulane, Loyola New Orleans, Ole Miss, and SMU. 

I think that you're over shooting with your schools.  particularly Tulane.  I know someone who got waitlisted from Ole Miss with a 149/4.0 and he's a resident.  And he was shocked by this.  You have a fine GPA, but you simply need to score higher on the LSAT.  Even a couple points higher will bring your LSAT up to closer to acceptable.  But right now, 149 is cause for concern to some adcoms.  You'd probably be a good candidate for Ole miss or LSU if you can just get up to a 154. Loyola's median LSAT is 153 - so I would think that you should reallly try to simply get up to 151 to have a shot.  But there is this artificial barrier between 149 and 151.  School's just really hate that 40-number.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Like PJC said, you're going to need a few more points on the LSAT to be really competitive at your targets, with the possible exception of Loyola. If you can get a 155, you should be easily in at LSU and Ole Miss.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I think SMU will be even tougher than Tulane.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

snw010

• View Profile
Would my application look so bad that it would be worthwhile to wait until I get a higher LSAT?

Or would it be worth the gamble to apply with the information listed above?

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Would my application look so bad that it would be worthwhile to wait until I get a higher LSAT?

Yes, wait.  You can submit your apps and specify that you will be taking another LSAT and request the judgment be reserved.  But Loyola NO is your only chance since your GPA is above the median.  I still fear that your LSAT is too low.  You are at the 25th percentile which isn't that bad.  Being below would make it extremely hard to get in... But I definitely couldn't see how you'd fair better than a WL.  But if you score higher, LSU and Ole Miss could be in play.  You really have to try to do this. 

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What's the deal with getting a Masters? What's your motivation for doing that? Do you want to be a lawyer or do you just want the degree?

Are you a minority, by the way?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.

snw010

• View Profile
I'm getting my Master's because I don't want to get a real job, and didn't feel like buckling down and trying my hardest to get a high LSAT. 

No, my motivation for going to law school is not simply "for the degree".  My family has an Admiralty and Maritime firm that I am planning on becoming a part of one day. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email

Wait.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

snw010

• View Profile
P.S.  I'm White.